Sony Doing Right By The VR Market, PSVR Impressing Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
>and the company has an install base of over 40 million VR-ready consoles worldwide.

Didn't they say people would need the New PS 4.5 to get the full PSVR experience?

>The headset is comfortable to wear for long periods of time and doesn’t produce eye strain. The first time I put it on, I spent over 3 hours inside the HMD without even realizing it.

A comfortable headset with no eye-strain sounds really good. I had to heavily mod my Vive headset to make it more comfortable, and I still need to add some additional padding, because even welding headgear gets uncomfortable over time with a Vive attached to it.

>We believe Sony did right by the VR industry with the PSVR.

That's great. Like many, I was afraid they'd deliver a poor substitute for 2016 VR, and make people think that VR is still where it was a decade ago.

philongames

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
@Jeff FX: The PS4 Pro is not required; all games have to run at 90fps no matter what version of PS4 you own. PS4 Pro allows developers to access additional horsepower if they choose to use it, but it's not a requirement to have PS4 Pro specific enhancements to submit a game to Sony, and you aren't allowed to have features only available on the Pro that aren't on the regular PS4. So you will get things like higher quality effects, textures, and in the super rare case, a bump up to 120 FPS (Sony is the only HMD of the big 3 right now that supports this refresh rate).

Zapin

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
It looks like the PSVR is working well considering the dated PS4 hardware (other than issues with the move controllers). Hopefully, they will not do VR a disservice by releasing too many half-baked VR demos pretending to be full fledged games. There are not many VR titles on any current platform that are worth a $50 price tag so if there is $5 worth of content the price of game should reflect that whether it is VR or not.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

PSVR works just fine on the regular PS4. You can't even get the new one yet.
The new system might increase the graphics fidelity a little bit.

If you know how to adjust the Vive's strap properly, it can be very comfortable. I prefer it over the Rift, actually. Most people don't realize that the strap needs to sit low on the back of the scull. As low as you can get it. It should be below the ridge on the back of your skull. All the weight should rest on your forhead, none on your cheeks.
Most people don't sit the strap low enough and compensate by pulling the strap tight, which is very uncomfortable.

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
This is actually what the VR market needs right now: a heavyweight like Sony utilizing their install base and pushing VR experiences to the masses. Hopefully they will keep up the in-store demos. I'm convinced there just is no other way to get new potential VR users on board and expand the market, other than getting people to actually try VR...whether it be PSVR, Vive, Rift, or whatever. I demoed a Vive this past summer and I will, without a doubt, be buying a Vive this Christmas (been saving my pennies). Just one try and now I want all of my family to try it, even if only to see their reactions. I just cant understand why HTC stopped doing the in-store demos so quickly for the Vive (< 1 month). There are no commercials, youtube videos, or review articles that can actually convey the experience of being "present" in a VR world. All VR companies really need to push hard on the in-store demos as an advertisement strategy, and hopefully Sony can afford to continue to do so.

Kuan81

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
@Jeff FX: In order to have the full experience, PS4 Pro is likely required. Play more graphic intensive games like DriverClub VR and you would see that the resolution drops off in distance (and in a driving game, you have to be able to see distance) to the point that the blurriness make you dizzy. This is not due to the headset but PS4. Hopefully Pro will be able to add more juicy and allow all PSVR games to run at a respective level.

Kuan81

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
@Jeff FX If you want full PSVR experience, Pro will likely be necessary consider how bad DriverClub VR's run. The graphic's in distance dropped to the level that its blurriness makes people feel sick. On the other hand, games like Rez, Thumper, Job Simulator, and Batman (which has nice graphic but there was no action or fast movements) are fine with standard PS4.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Heh, probably reports of people contracting MRSA infections or head lice, after trying them.

Of course, I'm just speculating... but I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.