Sony Drops PS4 Price To $349.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
CDN $429.99 is still higher than the inital release price of CDN $399.99. So really, it's only a price drop by name, as far as Canada is concerned. I mean, raise the price by $50 and then back off $20... Still is $30 more than the price it released at...

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
How outdated is this machine now? Can you add windows, linux or android to it, or openly program it in Java, javascript or even basic? I havent kept up with these paperweights can do.

Exactly. Last weekend Best Buy had a one-day $349.99 sale price on the Destiny color theme PS4 bundle (white). You can also find 12-month PSN membership cards on sale for $40 instead of the full $50 price if you keep your eye open.

Yes, clueless you are. At least you admit it. Sony locked down all open source usability after the PSN was hacked. Sony put out an update for everyone's PS3 that was mandatory they download and install or they would be blocked from going online. It removed access to any open source code including Linux. You can thank hackers for that.

If PS4s are still selling like hotcakes and outselling the XBone, why should they cut prices even further? They were barely making profit from the console itself even when selling it at $400US. Estimates were the total cost to manufacture one unit from silicon stamp to boxing and packaging was $382US in the first year of production. Sure economies of scale have made that unit production cost go down, but not by a lot.

Also keep in mind Sony just updated the PS4 with better internals like a lighter PSU, updated Blu-Ray optical laser, and better cooling. They spend money on R&D too. What is it with everyone today wanting everything in life for cheap or free?

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Exactly. Last weekend Best Buy had a one-day $349.99 sale price on the Destiny color theme PS4 bundle (white). You can also find 12-month PSN membership cards on sale for $40 instead of the full $50 price if you keep your eye open.

Aah, crap. I was really hoping the Destiny edition would be part of the price drop, and here I've already missed my chance. Also, where are these other deals you talk about? Haven't been able to find anything short of used/refurb stuff on eBay.

Yeah I'm ticked too I missed it. I sat on it waiting to decide and came back the next day and the deal was over. :( Anyway check out the website Dealcatcher. I check them out several times a day, even more frequently during upcoming holidays. There are others like WOOT and Groupon that I get emails from, but you have to sign up manually to be on their mailing list for deals. I'm in the US, so not sure what it's like if you are outside of the States. NewEgg also has daily promo deals that they run daily and update the product every few hours.

Edit: apparently you can get the same Destiny bundle at Target for $399 BUT you get a $50 gift card for the store. If you have a SuperTarget and can buy groceries and goods there, that's effectively the same deal. This is good through 10/10 while supplies last (no rain checks).

http://www.target.com/p/playstation-4-500gb-destiny-the-taken-king-limited-edition-bundle/-/A-49175861

80-watt Hamster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014

Hey, thanks for the heads-up. Although the gift card also comes with the $350 Uncharted edition, so I STILL need to decide if a pretty console is worth an extra fifty bucks. *sigh* It's probably not; I don't even play Destiny.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
es, clueless you are. At least you admit it. Sony locked down all open source usability after the PSN was hacked. Sony put out an update for everyone's PS3 that was mandatory they download and install or they would be blocked from going online. It removed access to any open source code including Linux. You can thank hackers for that.

10tackle, I already knew all that, I'm refering to what has happenned with the PS4 and how slack they have been compared to what they could have done. They csn fill a security hole without contravening people's rights. Now who is "clueless"?

Well if you "already knew all that" with regards to [your words] "Can you add windows, linux or android to it, or openly program it in Java, javascript or even basic?" then why did you even bother asking a rhetorical question about something you don't even care about?

Sony was slack and they made amends to PS3 owners...I got a free game, a discounted year's PSN membership, and a year's worth of ID/credit monitoring protection out of it. But I never missed a beat since I PC game more than I console game anyway. But it sure is nice having a nice $400 portable gaming system that you call a paperweight to take while traveling which takes up no more space for carry-on luggage than an equivalent 1080p performing $1,200+ gaming laptop.

Oh by the way: you do not have a "right" to anything when it comes to what Sony (or MS, or Nintendo) chooses to sell. It is THEIR hardware, not yours. If you don't like their limitations, then don't buy it or invent your own open source gaming console and sell it. Clueless indeed.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

You rudely again make all sorts of misplaced presumptions. It is not going to help matters. Eventually an unsupported system becomes a proverbial paper weight in light of the new incompatible system, I have had a few over nearly four decades. I'm glad if legally they were made to make amends.

It is not their hardware they changed to stop legitimate software being used on a privately owned machine that could possibly be considered sabotage normally under law. Once it is sold to somebody else it is no longer theirs. It is not their "right" as you think it is. However, the legal aspect has been hacked for years (yes I am saying "sabotaged") like the minds of the young. The remedy to damages you describe are unduly light. From memory people were downgraded without knowing it would happen, but that was a while ago.

Rhetorical questions are often used by intelligent people to provoke the question in the mind of others. The question being, why don't they give something at least out of my long list of lighter and lighter alternatives. JavaScript would be acceptable, they had basic here in the PS2. And I do care deeply about it, making a monopolised content system also has lots of issues with various laws designed to protect people from monopolization in various jurisdictions (though l, see the sabotaging of legislation in recent decades referred to above). The consumer has suffered.

Now going around starting calling people clueless and trying to prove it while failing is not on. You have reflected it back on yourself and made yourself look bad by trying it firstly. Now we all hopefully have more important things to do than follow this.

You CANNOT be serious. You come on here and make some smartalek comment like "How outdated is this machine now?...I havent kept up with these paperweights can do." and then expect to get any respect or to be taken seriously and then call ME rude for calling you out?

And for the second time, you fail to understand that Sony has the right to limit the abilities of whatever they are selling. If you read the PSN EULA, it's THEIR software, not yours. Just like with Windows. It can be revoked at any time. You can keep the hardware, but that OS and services are theirs, not yours. If the PSN only works with their OS and not Linux, that's Sony's right. Oh you can certainly still install Linux on it and get bricked out of access to the PSN. Again, that is Sony's right to put a clamp on what OS is used to access THEIR online network.

Second, if Sony was doing something illegal or in violation of consumer rights, I'm reasonably certain the FTC would already have addressed it by now considering Sony first put the clamps on open source as I mentioned earlier with a PS3 update years ago. It seems to be working okay for the masses because the PS4 continues to sell like mad.

Finally, if you want to be taken more seriously, or at least have a respectful dialogue, don't start off with such a snide comment to begin with in the form of a rhetorical question. That is counter-productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.