News Sony Exec Doesn’t Expect PS5 Supply to Improve Until 2023

InvalidError

Titan
we still in mid 2021 and they already expect the entire 2022 will be a though when it comes to supply?
I can't really say I'm surprised, especially with TSMC possibly having to shut down all of its Taiwan fabs due to water shortages this summer, which will set it back several months across the board. There is very little reason to expect chip supply to get significantly better until all of the new 2022-2023 fabs are up and running.

With weather and other things being increasingly screwy around the world, who knows what the next major supply destabilization event will be. The whole world needs more supply diversity for stability.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
With weather and other things being increasingly screwy around the world, who knows what the next major supply destabilization event will be. The whole world needs more supply diversity for stability.

And the entire World needs to understand we live on a finite planet because this is exactly what happens when people think, things can just go on forever. History 101 has taught us that things DON’T go on forever.

Reactions: King_V

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep… next year will be bad also so no wonder! And the current water shortage can really make the rest of this year really bad!
luckily it seems that feisbeegolf season is getting better every day, so i can forget the computer for next three months ;)

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Sony doesn’t seem to be resting on its laurels: The company is reportedly working on a redesigned PS5 featuring a new 6nm system-on-a-chip from AMD and TSMC that’s supposed to reduce both the cost of manufacturing the console and its lead time.

It’s not clear how much those changes would help consumers—there’s always the chance the reduced price would increase demand so much that the improved supply merely maintains the status quo rather than improving the console’s availability.

They are selling all they can make and you think if it is cheaper to manufacture they would drop the price. I like the idea but I think that is not going to happen.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
They are selling all they can make and you think if it is cheaper to manufacture they would drop the price. I like the idea but I think that is not going to happen.
Agreed! What typically happened in the past is that Sony and Microsoft would recoup some of their losses when the hardware became cheaper to produce. So even then they held to the original MSRP.

A few years into the life-cycle is when you might see a temporary drop in the MSRP to spur new sales. The other sales tactic is to bundle a game or a theme based console at regular MSRP.

Where you might find a good deal and that's prior to the Covid situation was for a retailer like Amazon to sell a bundle with a game with a $100 discount but that's usually during the Holidays. With the Covid situation and the lack of supply, I would not get my hopes of that happening either this year or next until there is more than enough supply in the retail channels.

Reactions: thisisaname