[SOLVED] Sony Handycam - missing files from Internal Memory

Arcanyx

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
Hi, so I recently purchased a Sony Handycam FDR-AX40 and it’s been a superb piece of hardware to capture my newborn son’s little moments.

We initially just used the internal memory for the first couple of days but when that ran out, we inserted a SD card to continue capturing videos. Today, weeks after we’ve started using it, my wife was browsing the videos via the camcorder and she realised the first few videos - the ones that were captured using the internal memory - were missing. No sign of them whatsoever, which caused some panic at our ends as there were some very important files there.

Checked the Sony manual and website as well as numerous forums, but nothing helped, so I’m hoping starting this new thread could shed some light on the problem and hopefully get us back our videos.

We’ve already backed up the files from the SD card to a computer, but we’re now looking for any recommendations on what tools we could try to recover the files from the internal memory, or any idea on what could have gone wrong to cause this issue.

Any help whatsoever would be very appreciated.

Solution
To anyone wondering how I got this sorted: The camera was defaulting to the memory card, but once I chose the internal memory within the camera menu I was able to both view the files and transfer them to my PC.

Arcanyx

Reputable
Jul 20, 2016
To anyone wondering how I got this sorted: The camera was defaulting to the memory card, but once I chose the internal memory within the camera menu I was able to both view the files and transfer them to my PC.

Solution