Sony Intros 55-Inch Crystal LED Display Using 6 Million LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
This is what I thought current "LED" TVs were when they first came out. I was disappointed to find out that they were just referring to the backlighting.

It sounds incredibly expensive to manufacture, but it must look amazing.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Isn't Sony also fond of claiming infinite contrast ratios by turning the screen off completely to get their black value? I'm sure this screen is awesome, but I really don't trust Sony on their contrast ratio claims any more.

td854

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]so how does this compare to OLED?[/citation]

I'm interested in this, as well as knowing how much power draw is behind 6 million LEDs on a mostly white screen.

[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]This is what I thought current "LED" TVs were when they first came out. I was disappointed to find out that they were just referring to the backlighting.

same here

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
willard, the whole point of LED backlighting is to get deep blacks by turning backlighting off, as opposed to CCFL backlighting that is always on. it's not just sony that can erroneously brag about contrast ratios on their LED TVs, it's everyone who makes LED TVs.

with that said, i understand the benefits of having the pixels themselves light up and negating backlighting altogether. it would actually improve contrast ratios, energy efficiency, and (i imagine) eliminate the "ghosting" effect current LED TVs suffer from while still maintaining the ability to deliver truly deep blacks.

i'd like to know pricing and availability on these TVs, i'll be in the market for a new HDTV in a year or two.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
The example picture of the screen is pretty absurd, I mean, If it looks great, then the only reason is cuz my current screen got great colors.....

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Isn't Sony also fond of claiming infinite contrast ratios by turning the screen off completely to get their black value? I'm sure this screen is awesome, but I really don't trust Sony on their contrast ratio claims any more.[/citation]
Normally I would agree with you, as I am NOT a fan of dynamic contrast screens. Turning off sections of back lighting to boost contrast numbers does not increase the quality of the picture, and it creates halo effects when areas of light are surrounded by dark picture. It looks worse than when the dynamic lighting is disabled, in my opinion.

However, in this case, I think the dynamic back lighting has real potential and the inflated numbers may finally be accurate. This screen would no longer be manipulating the back lighting for sections of the picture, but for each individual color of each individual pixel. This potentially puts the LCD picture on par, if not ahead, with what modern plasma screens are capable of, with much lower power use and waste heat.

I'm looking forward to this making its way into the mainstream. It's a technology approach that I always dreamed would happen but never dared to hope for.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Organic LEDs are based on organic compounds which may or may not have metals and, like devilzzz2007 pointed out, they break down over time (not to oxygen though these are sealed in a vacuum) due to electrical current and the resulting heat. these leds are more likely made of metals and metal compounds with nitrogen or various metalloids.

so what will manufacturers mislabel this as? we already have "led tvs" which are really "lcd tv backlit by led"... if this was called "led tv" it would lead to even more mass market confusion.

i'm all for this type of technology. this is definitely a step forward.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know what would be awesome, get a dslr camera and set it to a 2ms exposure time, and let people take picutres of a ball going back and forth, so we aren't lied to about its repose time so blatantly.

[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Isn't Sony also fond of claiming infinite contrast ratios by turning the screen off completely to get their black value? I'm sure this screen is awesome, but I really don't trust Sony on their contrast ratio claims any more.[/citation]

every number on a tv besides its size is a lie.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
"wider viewing angles when compared to existing LCD and plasma displays"????

Thought plasmas had NO limit on viewing angle, neither of mine seem to, that's for sure.

Also, I just love how everyone thinks LED isn't LCD. At Walmart the other day listening to a "sales person" telling an older couple how LED is soooo much better than LCD, then the old guy said "Why does the box say LED LCD?" Dude was like "uh, that box is probably used for two different tv's" I was about to go smack him upside the head.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Sony is losing out in sales still with HDTV's because it still pricing them based off a reputation they still think they have. Sony isn't the king of the hill and no one pays more for thier name as much anymore.

I'll stick with my LG's.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]so how does this compare to OLED?[/citation]
Contrast on AMOLEDs (the only variation of OLED in production I guess) was said to have LOWER contrast than conventional LCD.

On the first read through of the first like I though it meant 6 million 55" LED's and the first thought was "Oh my God that is huge!" followed by "That can't be right... were's my coffee...."

Cryosis00

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
This will not be a cost competitive TV any time soon and as with all tech, what it can do and what the medium such as cable/DVD/Blue Ray can actually output are 2 different things.

a contrast of "more than measurable limit values."

Does this mean when you turn on the T.V. you could watch it through the walls of your house or that your house will be a beacon to space ships?

*Coffee Consumed*
[citation][nom]Branden[/nom]willard, the whole point of LED backlighting is to get deep blacks by turning backlighting off, as opposed to CCFL backlighting that is always on.[/citation]
In reality only the highest end LED TV's use local dimming, most of them are edge lit displays that stay on at all times. And like shoreless pointed out, the local dimming displays suffer from some pretty wonkey problems, so they are best avoided. OLED and true LED are the way to go as you get super high contrast like a plasma screen, but without the power bill or burn in issues.

I have a techno buddy who's always wanted to build his own large screen using R/G/B LCDs from scratch. He probably felt a little tickle reading this. Something different = new price ceilings seemingly warranted as prices drop on the current stuff. I'm not a huge color / contrast Aficionado so I'm pleasantly ignorant and happy with what I have.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]DeViLzzz2007[/nom]Hopefully unlike OLED oxygen doesn't kill it and also hopefully it has a life cycle longer than 7 years.[/citation]
OLED lifetime is up to 100,000 hours. That is slightly over 11.4 years running 24 hours a day.[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]It sounds incredibly expensive to manufacture, but it must look amazing.[/citation]
I agree. Printing OLED will almost certainly be significantly cheaper than this.

All of LG and Samsung's 55" OLED TVs were on display at CES along with this set, and according to Gizmodo, the Samsung set was the number one device at the show.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]I have a techno buddy who's always wanted to build his own large screen using R/G/B LCDs from scratch. He probably felt a little tickle reading this. Something different = new price ceilings seemingly warranted as prices drop on the current stuff. I'm not a huge color / contrast Aficionado so I'm pleasantly ignorant and happy with what I have.[/citation]
Well, this is Sony. IMHO, Sony, if they even release this to the mass market - it is a prototype and not an announced product, will over price this relative to competition - LG, Samsung, and Panasonic releasing 55" OLED sets this year.

Rumored price on the Samsung 55" OLED set is $5K US. While expensive to some, IMHO, that is an unbelievable market entry price.

Status
Not open for further replies.