News Sony Is Letting People Register to Buy a PS5 Directly in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC Mag has an article on a group who are buying up stock from both online resellers and from other scalpers. They are successful enough to have multiple warehouses of thousands of consoles, across a number of states in the US. It is saddening to see the vast amount of scalpers and those who enable the scalpers by buying the products from them.

Equally sad is that it seems Sony is basically saying there is going to be a shortage for a lot longer. They should have came up with this system many, many months ago.

Reactions: adamboy64

Giroro

Splendid
Before the PS5 launched, I signed up for a very similar list to get a link to preorder directly from Sony. I'm still waiting for that link, so I guess I'm not a big enough or Sony-focused-enough influencer to be allowed to buy their product at full retail price. Considering my Sony activity dropped to exactly zero after this gen forced me to be PC exclusive, I'm probably even less eligible than before.
The big players are multimillionaires who can easily afford a PS5 at any price, and I can't imagine anybody who is still stuck on PS4 are having luck finding an audience.
There probably isn't very many people with a big following who have $500 but not $1000... But, there probably isn't very many PS5's either.

At least Razer had the common courtesy to send me an email and let me know that I'm worthess consumer scum whom isn't worthy of buying their dorky RGB mask.

At the end of the day, I don't need Sony, I no longer want Sony, and Sony doesn't want me either. I saw a PS5 on display for the first time last week and it was the size of my adult torso. If anything, I dodged a bullet because that lump looks way worse in person than it does online.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Sony has been doing this for a while. I got my PS5 in early September after receiving an email with a link that would be valid the following day at noon and no sooner. I followed the directions and after some shipping delay I was the owner of a PS5.

Sony has been doing this for a while. I got my PS5 in early September after receiving an email with a link that would be valid the following day at noon and no sooner. I followed the directions and after some shipping delay I was the owner of a PS5.

Yeah, I believe you had to subscribe to the PSN newsletter, and then you might be randomly chosen to buy a PS5 by Sony. This is a bit different in that they are now giving you a "direct" way to register & queue up to buy direct from Sony - no newsletter needed. Months late, though, if you ask me.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Yeah, I believe you had to subscribe to the PSN newsletter, and then you might be randomly chosen to buy a PS5 by Sony. This is a bit different in that they are now giving you a "direct" way to register & queue up to buy direct from Sony - no newsletter needed. Months late, though, if you ask me.
50% or more of production allocated to a region should have been reserved for direct sale to PSN account holders who met a minimum activity level. With weighting toward PS+ subscribers. This would have stymied scalpers and targeted the most loyal segment of the market.

Figuring out how best to sell hardware that tries to limit or completely eliminate software sales at the retail level is very much a transition in progress. Companies are terrified of alienating the retail channel but also know things have to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS