Sony Launches ''World's Lightest'' 13-Inch Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]I prefer functionality over flatness...[/citation]
I agree. If I wanted flat, I'd get a piece of paper. Built-in word processor and drawing application. Sadly, paper works better than VAIOs in my experience.

G

That's some good daylight-reading visibility you got on your iPaper, Anomalyx.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I would love to buy a flat light laptop that is easy to carry around, but it is not worth my money if it doesn't play Crysis. oh yeah, I went there.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Dude once those expansion modules get some more powerful gpu's in them this would be very practical to have a all in one machine that you game on when you are at home and one that you can take anywhere with you

G

The flat design is perfect! nobody can come up with a better design than simplicity at it's best. Stop giving them ideas to make horrible looking laptops that are thick and easy to break because they had to add useless curves or bumped features!

The only thing I may have a problem with is the absurd price and the relatively bland graphics card that doesn't deserve a desktop replacement price

G

@woohaaa, agreed. Thick laptops are by no means comfortable to use and feels quite unnatural when switching from a desktop keyboard.

There's been articles online in the past (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1522180) where people have made makeshift external cards using removable pci cards, but it's great to see Sony adding some polish to the idea. All we need now is a AMD Llano-based laptop with a dock that allows video card upgrades. I can see it now: Hybrid graphics with a 6950 with a firmware upgrade and we'd have one rockin' system.

kaidaejin

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
This is 1/2 a pound lighter than the 13" Air.
Saying it's heavier than the 11" air without making sure the audience knows you're comparing to the 11" Air is wrong.
As was comparing the 15.6" Dell in a recent article to the 17" Macbook Pro without being crystal clear about that in the writing.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have a client who would love this... Assuming it had at least 6 hours of battery life... He has work to do on his back-n-fourth from Hong Kong, and he has no interest in a MBAir...

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]Flatterland[/nom]That's some good daylight-reading visibility you got on your iPaper, Anomalyx.[/citation]
watch out, you're going to get sued by Apple for using their next product name.

iPaper, it'll change the way you work. It will offer a free form work surface allowing your imagination to go wild. It will have the option of either reusable or permanent data entry. Very mobile as well. Coming to an Apple store near you soon for only $799. iStylus sold separately, only $39.99 for the iPencil or $49.99 for the iPen. Both offered and a range of colors, though each color must be bought separately.

neola00

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
I like this laptop quite well, but why Sony, did you removed the home, end, page up, and page down keys. The computer just has empty space on both sides of the keyboard and the enter, shift, and backspace keys are wider than a normal laptop keyboard.
I use the home, end, page up, and page down keys extensively for highlighting whole lines, jumping to the top and bottom of documents or web pages with Ctrl + Home or Ctrl + End, etc. Having to double shift using the Fn key is a real bummer!

I do notice that Toshiba's R830 series thin, light, powerful laptops still have these valuable keys. Don't mess with my keyboard layouts or keys please!

Status
Not open for further replies.