Sony Launches Xperia Z5 Family, Including The 'World's First' 4K Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Too bad we don't really have enough power in phones to push any meaningful content on a 4K display. I'm sure it looks amazing though.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
4k lol .. and we need Titan X for 4K on PC...

how on earth they play 3D games using that resolution and the crappy phone hardware?

It depends on the game. Also, 1080p will still look decent on that phone, so why play at the native resolution if it's choppy? Let's not be assholes about this. We all knew this was coming no matter how practical it would really be. Sony says they're the first, yay to them. I'm not really interested though.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

how on earth they play 3D games using that resolution and the crappy phone hardware?

Phone games aren't PC games. Bad comparison.

You only need an Atom for mobile gaming, regardless of resolution. Intel HD 4000/4600 is already Titan X levels for mobile games.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006

In most cases, everything will render at 1080p and then upscaled to 4K, hell even Xbox One do upscaling in some games... Sony mentioned this with Video & pictures also... they have a pretty good upscaling engine used in their TV's.. so this is a mobile version.. might be not as good as that one but it should make a different...

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Sony phones have terrible replacement parts, I fix iPhones and Android phones all the time, rarely am I able to find a good part for a sony phone that actually works.

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015
I believe THAT is the only really usefull application for a 4K screen on a phone.
My thoughts exactly. I have a LG G3 with a quad-HD screen (1440 x 2560) and let me tell you, that screen does hit the battery pretty hard. And playing games on this thing, actually makes the battery cry and almost transform it into a portable heater for those cold winter nights. ;)
For those who don't know, you can't adjust the rendering resolution of games on Android unless the game itself features such an option. All the games I play on my G3 render at the full resolution without any way for me to adjust this. No wonder this kills the battery pretty fast... So, I'm curious about how well games will play on this 4K mobile phone...

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
It is beyond me how phone makes don't get that consumer wants (in this priority):
1) Long battery life (removable battery is a huge plus since their quality degrade over time !)
2) Good camera
3) Responsiveness (i.e. fast CPU)

4K is useless and Sony should know better...pitty

realnoize

Honorable
Jan 5, 2015

I know, isn't that ridiculous? I mean, Samsung dropped the idea of removable battery in their latest flagship phones, and this was a feature that made Samsung phones interesting in the first place! Now it seems only LG, among the big manufacturers, still offers great phones with removable batteries.

And about 4K, I would argue that even on a TV set below 60", it is pretty much useless too if you sit at "normal" viewing distance. I know 4K might be interesting in some devices like a large PC monitor (since you sit much more closer to it than you are when watching your TV), but I don't see why I should care about 4K. I mean, on my current LG G3 which is a quad-HD display, you can't see any pixel on the thing without putting the phone under a magnifying lens. So clearly, anything with a pixel density higher than this is completely useless (unless used with a VR viewer, but this is not something the average folk care about). I don't see the point of a 4K screen on a phone. The only thing I've seen from high-density screens on mobile devices are bigger battery drain due to screen.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
You will have to have in on the charger while playing games with the 810 and 4k display together. No battery can survive that for too long. Make it an inch thick with copper pipes for cooling and a 6AMP battery :p

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Do manufacturers/people even realise that 4k on such a small screen is absolutely useless ? Maybe in the future they can make the pixel the size of an atom what`s the use if the human eye can`t see it ?

This is the sad part of the 1 year phone refresh industry , it has a so damn small time between variants that manufactures don`t know what else to put in a phone to sell it... 4K!!! Even though you don`t have the computing power to even use it efficiently on your desktop PC with an almost 1000 $ GPU... but that doesn`t matter, you have it on your phone!

And people are already pissing in their pants because they will ditch their last year flagship phone for this year`s phone to have 4k Facebook/Instagram !

Sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS