Sony Maintains Next-Gen Console Leadership With 20 Million Playstation 4 Units Sold

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, not all are stupid, they will buy superior hardware. The only reason to get the xbone was for xbox specific titles. What i dont get is why all games cant just be rendered in 1080p regardless? the gpu's are capable. Even give users the option to sacrifice some draw distance or something for high res or just lower some other detail settings. I know on my pc i wouldn't sacrifice my native 1080p resolution for more game details.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
those games on the xbox one that were 720p rendered were the first gen xbox one games that didn't utilize ESRAM because the development kits for the ESRAM weren't out at that time yet. Now since ESRAM kits have been widely accessible to developers within the past year, xbox one games have no issue playing at 1080p and even at 60fps.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
This article seemed very PS4 biased. And i'm a PC gamer, i think both are garbage. Like saying the PS4 is 50 percent faster because its capable of more teraflops? Do we decide how much faster a gpu is to another by looking at teraflops? And like the article needs to clarify that the reason the xbox one will be able to undercut the ps4 is because it uses inferior hardware. And how many games were really released at 1080p on ps4 and 720p on the xbone, that the article implies is the norm?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I still find it funny that the "next-gen" consoles are behind the "last-gen" consoles in terms of functionality. I still don't get why so many features were left out on Day 1 versions of the "next-gen" consoles and are very slowly being added back via updates. In some ways, I still think the XBOX 360 is better than the XBOX One, hopefully one of these days, they'll fix it.

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Sadly, if you have a decent PC, there isn't that many reasons to get a console except for a few exclusive titles. Honestly, if I was to buy a current gen console, it would surprisingly be the WiiU since it's at least unique (for now).

I don't really see the point of buying a console right now. All the exclusives have been major duds. The game most likely to push graphics, the witcher 3, is going to be best on the PC.

The wii U is the only console I would consider as it's the only console with smash hit exclusives out right now.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
First, saying Sony has more powerful hardware isn't quite right. Whether it is, or is not, could be debated.

For example, Microsoft has more powerful CPUs, by virtue of being clocked higher. Sony has a much larger GPU, and uses GDDR5, which is horrible memory for a CPU, because the latency is atrocious. Microsoft chose lower latency memory, with less bandwidth, but included a cache which further improves the CPU performance.

So, probably Sony is faster, but the CPU is WAY slower, not only due to the clock speed, but also the terrible latency of the memory, and the lack of a L3 cache.

So, in most games, I'd suspect the Sony would do better, there will be the odd-ball that likes the faster CPU, or the cache of the XBone. Most things outside of games, which these consoles are designed to do now (home entertainment center) will almost certainly run better on XBone. So, it's not all bad. Just in one thing, and better in other things. But, like you, I'd rate the thing Sony is better at, as being more important for these consoles, since they are mainly for games.

dstarr3

Distinguished
The only reason I want to buy a Playstation is because of Shadow of the Colossus. And that only works on PS3, not PS4. And there's no X-Box exclusive titles I'm interested in. So there's just no reason to buy a console. Unless you want a Wii, weirdly. Between Bayonetta and the upcoming Zelda, it's the only console with exclusives that are worth anything.

andresvergara

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2004
nothing to be impressed about since the xbox one hardware and exclusives are so week.

seriously, in 2015 a "next gen" console using ddr3 tech memory for graphics is absurd, not to mention other hardware flaws.
definitely microsoft businees is not on the hardware side, (pretty competitive distant on the tablet, smarphone and now on the console market).

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
They are pretty similar.... and with the upscaling I challenge anyone to actually tell the difference from 720 to 1080. It's so darn close. But trust me.... I don't know we are not talking about 4k (that's what these should be pushing). Overall I'm extremely disappointed with this version of consoles. PC gaming is getting huge again as a result and will grow even more in the next few years if Sony/Microsoft don't get out new systems quickly. The current crop were maxed out on day one and can't even run 4k tvs which are going mainstream like a year ago. Sad.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
First, saying Sony has more powerful hardware isn't quite right. Whether it is, or is not, could be debated.

For example, Microsoft has more powerful CPUs, by virtue of being clocked higher. Sony has a much larger GPU, and uses GDDR5, which is horrible memory for a CPU, because the latency is atrocious. Microsoft chose lower latency memory, with less bandwidth, but included a cache which further improves the CPU performance.

So, probably Sony is faster, but the CPU is WAY slower, not only due to the clock speed, but also the terrible latency of the memory, and the lack of a L3 cache.

So, in most games, I'd suspect the Sony would do better, there will be the odd-ball that likes the faster CPU, or the cache of the XBone. Most things outside of games, which these consoles are designed to do now (home entertainment center) will almost certainly run better on XBone. So, it's not all bad. Just in one thing, and better in other things. But, like you, I'd rate the thing Sony is better at, as being more important for these consoles, since they are mainly for games.

Debating if the PS4 is stronger is like debating if a 7870 is stronger than a 7770. Either you are biased, or just inept. I expect better from people on a PC hardware website...

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
The only console I care about is the Wii U. It's great for playing with others and nintendo has many beloved franchises.

However, my pc is still my main gaming machine.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Sony and MS could upgrade their consoles power in the near future, while still keeping compatibility with PS4/XBOX1, if it's based on x86 architecture.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Waiting on Nvidia Shield Tegra X1 to be launched for $200's seems like a bargain compared to these other "next" gen consoles quite honestly. Sure you can make the claim Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft have a bigger foot hold in the console market, but keep in mind Nvidia has been pushing cutting edge graphics for PC's for years with a lot of strong developer ties.

Now both Sony and Microsoft and even Nintendo was able to break into the console market so I don't see any reason why Nvidia can't either and them being in the GPU business to begin with really puts them at a big advantage it's no stretch of the imagination to say they can better support the hardware via updates than the other three major console makers can.

the more teraflops thing isn't the only reason. MS screwed themselves when they tried to force everyone to have an internet connection connected at all times, almost not letting you play used games on the console, the talk that the kinnect camera would always be active thinking that they will spy on you. there are many reasons why people went with the PS4

Agree, Nintendo, even if they sell less is much smarter than the other brands because their games you can only get on a Nintendo console, and can be pretty fun with friends. Multiplayer on PC is uncommon from what I've seen.

Nintendo did not just "break into" the console market, they've been in it for over 25 years. They are the longest lasting, and Sega was dropped out years ago (who even knows how that company lives today, same with Namco).

Pretty much the only reason I get Microsoft consoles is for stuff like Madden NFL or Fable 2/3. So far though there hasn't been any what I would call 'killer' exclusives for Xbox One, not like the original Halo anyway. If they keep releasing titles on both pc and console then I don't really see how consoles will survive though; particularly if EA moves the NFL Franchise back to pc (I wish). It is also very disappointing that the xbox one is not backward compatible with 360 games. Hardware wise the xbox one is impressive compared to the xbox 360, even if it is slightly inferior to the ps4.

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I have a PS4 but an XB1 would probably have been a better choice for a quieter system (fans and Blu-ray drive) a media remote and some more software functionality. Maybe I'm getting old but games are not all that for me anymore.

The PS4 is a better game system, the XB1 is a better overall living room box IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.