Sony Making a Zombie Apocalypse MMOG to Rival DayZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lol'd at Smedley, while rattling off ideas, one of them was waiting for a lightning storm to recharge your car battery ;)

Pssst, wind, an alternator, a belt and a radiator fan on a pole to keep it simple, for generating electricity from scavenged parts is a route. It is free to play so maybe they don't want to make a science lesson meta-game.

Despite that (he's not a developer), I think they may have something fun here.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
This sounds suspiciously similar to State of Decay which launched to great success last year and has since had a excellent DLC pack and a second one is in development.
The sandbox simulation with zombies, apocalypse atmosphere, night and day cycle, setting up and developing bases, saving other survivers and giving them shelter and developing them.
I know it is not an MMO, but Undead Labs hinted to be working on something massive and online, at least hey've promised cooperative multi which will be perfect for me, even if not MMO.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
DayZ Mod(The original), DayZ Standalone, Rust, Class 6 (later renamed State of Decay with an axed multiplayer feature) all already have the market covered. Undead Labs is already in the works with finishing up the multiplayer portion of Class 6 (known as State of Decay to console/steam gamers) and outside of it and DayZ I don't see the need for another on of these games.

Class 6 and DayZ are both superb examples of the genre done right with no punches pulled.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

There aren't to many games on the PS4 platform, period. They have about 3 exclusives so far and a bunch of old F2P and indie games ported from PC. Next-gen consoles are a wasteland.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
If SoE can make a decent game and its profitable more power to them. But I agree with others, the genre IS beyond saturation. TV as well. The premise is completely implausible if not ridiculous. All the Walking Dead fanatics may not walk but they have much in common with the zombies they watch.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
This sounds suspiciously similar to State of Decay which launched to great success last year and has since had a excellent DLC pack and a second one is in development.
The sandbox simulation with zombies, apocalypse atmosphere, night and day cycle, setting up and developing bases, saving other survivers and giving them shelter and developing them.
I know it is not an MMO, but Undead Labs hinted to be working on something massive and online, at least hey've promised cooperative multi which will be perfect for me, even if not MMO.

Except on PC State of Decay is an ugly, boring mess. This should at least look better.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Why all the hate for sony Patrick? Because everytime Sony takes an idea to compete with a company they're hailed as gods by an over zealous fanbase. Any other company does the same thing and the Sony army is there to bash the company for not having a creative bone in their body.

After Left for dead 1 I dont think ill ever be impressed with a zombie game again.
Its just a shooter, but, the atmosphere and fun were unparalleld.

I think there is very little chance we will see something better (thou we might see something different).
I havent tried DayZ or Rust, or any of those you guys metion.,... Im gonna wait for price drops... and maybe even DLC included in final versions.

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Day Z is an interesting game. Since I didn't play Arma and don't know the maps its very difficult to learn the maps. Especially since there are so many threats (Zombies, other players, Hunger thirst and sickness). That make it more difficult to learn these extremely large maps. So if I am playing with friends it can take 30 to 40 mins to link up with them and that is if I know where I am and how to get to where they are. Dayz has an extremely steep barrier to entry. I would have loved this game I think if I were younger but now I have less time to dedicate to gaming and many games I would like to play Its really hard to get into Dayz.

Sep 22, 2013
Okay, I know I'm going to get down-voted to oblivion and flamed like hell but I'm just going to say it: I'm sick of all the zombie games.

I think at this point, zombies have reached the cliche level of vampires. Yes, I love vampires, but even I thought Twilight was the ultimate stretch of the genre: he sparkles in the fricking sun? He supposed to burst into flames and turn to ash.

I get it, the Walking Dead is great. Now move on and quit trying to capitalize. These companies basically destroy culture by beating the undead horse into the ground, bringing it back from the dead and doing it all over again.

anathema_forever

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Not saying big corporations stealing some small guys ideas and claiming all the profits for themselves seems cool to me but I like the idea of a Sony class budget putting money into a zombie MMO. I think this because I think that mmo's are big projects and I like the idea of a zombie mmo honestly and was getting tired of the single/small multiplayer versions that keep getting spammed and that I mostly ignored. Also thinking that they zombie theme was getting over done and I should wait for like another 100 to come out to learn which ones were actually good and skip the other 200.

I haven't tried Day Z lately, but from when i did try it, there was so much rampant cheating and spawn camping, i got too frustrated to continue. It wasn't the zombies i was worried about, it was other players gathering items and killing you before you could start playing. I wish there was no PVP servers.

I do like sony's description of taking items and crafting fortress's, this breeds more of a social aspect, clans etc.... I look forward to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.