Question Sony MDR-XB550AP headphone with Laptop

xDeuiii_1

Commendable
Mar 18, 2017
So I'm planning to get the Sony MDR-XB550AP headphones. Reviews look good on Amazon. I plan to use them with my laptop for everything; music, movies, gaming. I need to know if the microphone will work with my laptop (has only a 3.5mm jack) when gaming (whilst using Discord) or when using other software like Skype or Zoom.

There seems to be conflicting information on Amazon reviews and questions concerning the mic. For each question asked about using the mic outside of a smartphone, a Sony representative (I don't know what they are called) says they cannot guarantee that it will work as it is designed for phone calls. And they link a manual to the headphones which pretty much say the same thing, "Use this unit with smartphones".

How are they "designed" for phone calls? Shouldn't a microphone work in other sources other than phones?

(ACCIDENTAL THREAD, kindly delete please)

Last edited:

xDeuiii

Reputable
Mar 1, 2016
So I'm planning to get the Sony MDR-XB550AP headphones. Reviews look good on Amazon. I plan to use them with my laptop for everything; music, movies, gaming. I need to know if the microphone will work with my laptop (has only a 3.5mm jack) when gaming (whilst using Discord) or when using other software like Skype or Zoom.

There seems to be conflicting information on Amazon reviews and questions concerning the mic. For each question asked about using the mic outside of a smartphone, a Sony representative (I don't know what they are called) says they cannot guarantee that it will work as it is designed for phone calls. And they link a manual to the headphones which pretty much say the same thing, "Use this unit with smartphones".

How are they "designed" for phone calls? Shouldn't a microphone work in other sources other than phones?