Sony New 3rd-Gen 3D HMD Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
2D 2560X720
3D ~1808x1019p because of merged L R images.
These are not VR device

!080p yeah these already cost a grand why not make them even more expensive?

Go to the link and check out the gallery, OMG I hope they don't look that bad on everyone!

eszklar

Honorable
May 1, 2013
"My girl friend would laugh at me if she seen me wearing them. Then immediately be pissed off!"

Replace GF with Virtual GF "Idoru"-style. Or Dr. Krieger-style (Archer).

I find it amusing how they advertised this: "HD OLED screens generating a virtual 750 inch screen from 65 feet away"

Can't we be more honest in how we advertise these things? Who knows what 750 inches looks like at 65 feet away?

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I don't think they could add head-tracking, if they did they might need to remove the view port so you can't see your keyboard. If you combine head-tracking with a HMD the user can experience motion sickness, fixed space usage cuts that down. If you combine head tracking with a open view to the real world it can compound the motion sickness effect because the real-world view will likely conflict with the in game view motion.

@bystander: Another way to advertise it would be "HD OLED screens generating a virtual 11.5 inch screen from 1 foot away!"

It's not so impressive sounding when described that way though. : P The actual field of view is probably less than what most PC gamers have when sitting in front of a monitor at a typical viewing distance. The Oculus Rift, by comparison, is designed to fill your entire field of view, albeit with an increasingly blurry image toward the edges. Sony's headset might not be bad for simulating a 3D monitor, but the Oculus should provide a more immersive experience in supported games.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I find it amusing how they advertised this: "HD OLED screens generating a virtual 750 inch screen from 65 feet away"

Can't we be more honest in how we advertise these things? Who knows what 750 inches looks like at 65 feet away?

After converting them both to meters, it's 1m screen at 1m away, +-, which means less than 90 degrees Field Of View horizontally. Oculus Rift has, if I remember right, 120 degrees horizontal FOV and 90 degrees vertical.

Status
Not open for further replies.