Sony Online to Shut Down Four MMOs This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Except for star wars, I had no idea those other games even existed.
I played Vanguard for about two hours back when it was new--you didn't miss anything. My son and I did have a few mins of fun while he helped me decide whether I wanted my huge boobed character to be "perky or saggy".

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Well you have to know what are you agreeing to when buying SOE games... the will shut down even best ones when they get low profit margins.

There is no worst company in MMO world. They just don't care about customers.
SOE has x amount of workers and they look efficiency... so... on title A they have 2% profit and on new mmo B they have say 10% profit they move available workforce to mmo B. Making nice smelly dump on people who bonded to the game and people they play with over the years.

In completely other mmo universe exists for example Ultima Online celebrating 15th bithday.

EQnext is comming I only wander what is it's shutdown ETA.

trnddwn33

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Well you have to know what are you agreeing to when buying SOE games... the will shut down even best ones when they get low profit margins.There is no worst company in MMO world. They just don't care about customers.... Making nice smelly dump on people who bonded to the game and people they play with over the years.
It's called running a business. They are not in business to lose money, although that is sometimes the result.

Barantos1

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Vanguard had some amazing classes and mechanics, could have been a great game for any other company.The slogan still holds true, "SOE, where MMOs go to die"

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

They should not be dealing with MMO. There comes time when you have to halt development and support only hadware not users. Sell for a 1$ to someone willing to support it. The big problem with SOE is that they run expensive third Party IPs so it's not only the service costs that they have to cover.

G

It would be nice if they would release the source code for MMO servers that are shut down, so at least there could be some fan run servers. I'm still bummed about all of the changes that took place with Star Wars Galaxies.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
If someone really wanted these MMOs to continue you could start a non-profit and ask to transfer ownership for a small royalty. It's just no one wants to take on that task.

It would be nice if they would release the source code for MMO servers that are shut down, so at least there could be some fan run servers. I'm still bummed about all of the changes that took place with Star Wars Galaxies.
The SWG_EMU is still alive and running on the Basilisk server last I checked. If you have your install discs for SWG, then you can play the EMU, for Free. They do accept donations for the server.

pauldh

Illustrious
Our family has six life-time memberships to Free Realms, and it will be greatly missed. It was a unique, family-friendly MMO, entertaining and diverse enough to keep mom's and dad's logging in long after the kidos went to bed. As something I could play WITH the kids, it was a relaxing change of pace from the shooters I enjoy (away from little eyes).

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@DragonChase: Thankfully, Diablo II is not an MMO even if it does have closed online play mode. I'm happily playing it single player right now in fact...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
you know i ahte hearing about these companies "sunsetting" these games , sure they are "free to play" , but keep in mind that means they all featured micro-transactions , that litterally drained thousands if not millions of people's pockets. i think game dev's owe it to those communities , to do some kind "end of support" release of the game that allows players to keep playing. IE; release the final patch and offer the server client up for free to the community. That way fans don't have to kiss their investment good bye they can then start running servers of their own.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Problem starts when you have starwars game and you have to pay Lucas arts million dollar a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS