Sony: Our iPhone and Galaxy S3 Challenger is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
the title should continue

Sony: Our iPhone and Galaxy S3 Challenger is Coming... and it will cost more than both combined...

i hope i am wrong but sony always prices themselves out of markets even when they are legitimatly a good product.. look at the price of vaio laptops or the origional price of the ps3 vs the 360

G

WTF ? how will a sony product be more expensive then an apple product?

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]asdf34c2[/nom]WTF ? how will a sony product be more expensive then an apple product?[/citation]

In a way, Apple became the company Sony always wanted to be. Expensive, proprietary, hip, chic etc.. I remember working in sales so many years ago and Sony reps always talking about why their products were more expensive because of "Son Styling".

Sony as a whole entity still wants to be in that position, and in that mindset they will probably make their products more expensive. I am just not sure if it would work now.

It should say, "Our iPhone & Galaxy S3 challenger is coming, but by the time it comes out, we will be behind by 6-12 months behind the latest technology and thus no one will probably want to buy our phone".

SOSTrooper

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
By the time this Sony phone comes out, it'll be in the shadow of Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5S. The cycle starts all over again.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
In my opinion, the Xperia TL is already good phone capable of competing. If they dropped $100 off the off-contract price, I might be swayed from the Nexus 4. It has an HD display, good processor/graphics/expandable memory/FM tuner (something I personally want). If they have something better planned, then wooohooo. Xperia TL specs at http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_tl-5015.php

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
All Sony has to do is make a single device, that will harness the power of console, portable gaming, smartphone, intuitive interface, lots of software support, and free communication to all of it's users across the world, and only this will bring Samsung and Apple to its knees. And of course, the device has to fit comfortably in a hand.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
So after many years and products Sony finally admits to their products being inferior.
Now they will take the bold step of making something to be 'competitive'. Not better than what Samsung and Apple have products, just competitive.

Sony along with all Japanese electronic companies (Sharp, Panasonic, etc) are in major trouble. The high Yen is killing them at the price side and they have no real innovation recently, especially in the mobile sector which is where all the money is at.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Since 2007 (before the recession but also before the touch smartphone and tablet revolution)

Sony stock is down 77%
Sharp stock is down 87%
Panasonic is down 75%
Fujitsu is down 45%

Not to feel left out:
RIM is down 80%
Nokia is down 73%
Motorola is down 32%

The winners:
Samsung is up 120%
LG is up 42%
Apple is up 520%
Amazon is up 488%
Google is up 33%

Sony if you want to be in this market and survive, you can't with your crappy products and trying to flash the brand "Sony". That brand has been tarnished from a decade of neglect and no real innovation in the consumer market. Your market cap is at $10 Billion USD. Apple has approximately enough cash to buy you out 12 times over.

Samsung's market cap is 17X yours and they have enough cash to buy you out. They have the advantage of their currency over your greatly appreciated Yen. You did not have as fierce competition in the 1980's and 1990's.

Step up with something radical, or just don't bother to waste the money like HP half-ass attempt of a tablet that only sold when they had a fire sale and didn't make a dime off of it.

Amazon and Google use the tactic of extremely low if not negative margins on their tablets to get market share. Apple and Samsung try to bring the newest features onto phones. What Sony are you bringing?

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Here's an idea... Make a phone that is 80% of the other phones, which you are doing already, but put a battery in it that lasts for four (I know, I'm going crazy here.) days! Four full days of battery would give you a significant unique selling point.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]balev[/nom]Here's an idea... Make a phone that is 80% of the other phones, which you are doing already, but put a battery in it that lasts for four (I know, I'm going crazy here.) days! Four full days of battery would give you a significant unique selling point.[/citation]

Trust me, somethings gotta give. Maybe slower SoC, lower RAM, lower quality display etc.

designasaurus

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Sorry, Sony. I'm still boycotting your products out of bitterness towards your phenomenal mishandling of SWG. I've discovered there are plenty of great alternatives to anything you make, and they're usually cheaper!

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]So after many years and products Sony finally admits to their products being inferior.Now they will take the bold step of making something to be 'competitive'. Not better than what Samsung and Apple have products, just competitive.Sony along with all Japanese electronic companies (Sharp, Panasonic, etc) are in major trouble. The high Yen is killing them at the price side and they have no real innovation recently, especially in the mobile sector which is where all the money is at.[/citation]

Reminds me of the Blackberry 10 release
RIM CEO Thorsten:
"We have a clear shot at being the No. 3 platform in the market."

High goals here...

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]asdf34c2[/nom]WTF ? how will a sony product be more expensive then an apple product?[/citation]

Sony has always been expensive. And almost always more expensive than Apple. They do make some really good products, but not so good as to warrant the price.

[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]In my opinion, the Xperia TL is already good phone capable of competing. If they dropped $100 off the off-contract price, I might be swayed from the Nexus 4. It has an HD display, good processor/graphics/expandable memory/FM tuner (something I personally want). If they have something better planned, then wooohooo. Xperia TL specs at http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_tl-5015.php[/citation]
Tiny battery. Put a massive one in there, Sony, and dive us prompt updates.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
If they would guarantee updates and bug fixes for 2-3 years, and follow up with good customer service they'd be ahead of most Android manufacturers.

balev

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Someone talking sense. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.