[SOLVED] Sony PS4 or Xbox One S Controller for PC?

Solution

Most Steam games support Xbox controllers. Since Steam has native DS4 support, a PS4 controller would work on these games which support Xbox but the game would have Xbox prompts. Only some games support DS4 and have Playstation prompts. Here is a list of supported DS4 games...

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
Due to Xbox and Windows 10 being from the same company (Microsoft) they, most of the time, work better. That doesn't mean that the PS4 will be worse, it depends on the company that made it and with which devices it is compatible. For example, Razer's Therester for PS4 also works on PC.

zionova

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017

Most Steam games support Xbox controllers. Since Steam has native DS4 support, a PS4 controller would work on these games which support Xbox but the game would have Xbox prompts. Only some games support DS4 and have Playstation prompts. Here is a list of supported DS4 games https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Special:Ask/-5B-5BCategory:Games-5D-5D-20-5B-5BDualShock_4_controller_support::true-5D-5D-20OR-20-5B-5BDualShock_4_controller_support::hackable-5D-5D/-3FDeveloped-20by/-3FPublished-20by/-3FRelease-20date-7C%2Blimit%3D1/-3FAvailable-20on/-3FDualShock_4_controller_support/-3FDualShock-204-20light-20bar-20support/-3FDualShock-20prompts/-3FDualShock-204-20connection-20modes/format%3Dtemplate/limit%3D100/template%3DFeature-2FDS4row/introtemplate%3DFeature-2FDS4intro/outrotemplate%3DFeature-2Foutro
There are some workarounds to show Playstation buttons on games which don't support it but usually they are complicated and not worth the time.

As for if you should use an Xbox controller or PS4, I would recommend the Xbox controller as it is supported in many more games and most people prefer the size of the controller. Also if you plan on playing FPS games, I wouldn't recommend using a controller as players will have the advantage over you since it is much easier to aim with a mouse and keyboard. However racing games are much better suited for controllers and you will find that they will be much easier with a controller.

Solution

kidprodigy

Prominent
Oct 3, 2018
I only use a PS4 controller for PC gaming and I do a lot of PC gaming. I've just never liked Xbox or their controllers but that's probably because I grew up playing PS1. I haven't had any issues getting a game to work with my PS4 controller, but most games do use the Xbox prompts. There are some that will detect it being a PS4 controller and switch prompts. And for a lot of games that don't switch, there are very easy to use mods to replace the Xbox prompts to PS4 prompts. Usually all it involves is replacing a file.