News Sony Quietly Launches 300-Gram Lighter PS5 in Japan

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm in the market for a 4k BluRay player, and the PS5 seems like a good option. A dedicated player seems like a huge rip off given the high prices (and I'm a huge Ratchet and Clank fan). Shocking that PS5 is still so hard to find for sale, anywhere. Glad that Sony is reducing costs, weight, and/or power consumption. Need more units for sale!

What is more likely is that Sony (or its partner AMD) has optimized power delivery of the SoC, which enabled it to reduce power consumption of the chip and allowed to use a lighter cooling system and/or a different PSU.
Or even more likely, they just doubled the fan speed so that they could get away with much smaller heat sinks. : P

Shocking that PS5 is still so hard to find for sale, anywhere. Glad that Sony is reducing costs, weight, and/or power consumption. Need more units for sale!
I don't think any of that would improve availability. If anything is limiting production, it's going to be components like the processor and other chips. Cutting costs is to improve their bottom line, and won't likely improve the pricing or availability of the hardware anytime soon.

Last edited: