Sony Recalling Over 500,000 Vaio Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
What's the big deal? My GTX 480 burns me all the time, is hardware not supposed to burn people or something? Have I been living under a rock? Where am I?

subgum

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
My Gateway P-7811FX burns anyone that touches the GPU exhaust while I'm gaming on it.
Why you ask? Because it's awesome.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Sony will probally has some legal crap with the firmware upgrade saying you cant sue for burns, if you download the update.
Remember the PS3 way back when, you could do all kinds of nifty things. Then they took that from you, installed a patch with a new EULA saying you cant sue, and you agree to take it in the butt!

gammaraptor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
ouch xD. good thing i use an hp laptop. it heats up after around 12 hours, but i think that's cuz the batteries are dead... =]

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Its not the heat, its the resulting failures. Are these laptops running Nvidia chipsets? I'd be interested in seeing if this is related to that Nvidia chipset fiasco a year ago. Of course, Sony doesn't have a good track record with their own hardware either, what with millions of recalled batteries over the last few years.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]gammaraptor[/nom]ouch xD. good thing i use an hp laptop. it heats up after around 12 hours, but i think that's cuz the batteries are dead... =][/citation]

I second that! HP ftw!, now somebody who owns a Alienware say something to make sony feel bad :D

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Though it is bad the SONY should have work on the temperature problem earlier... but SONY is still much better (well more expensive, too) than Dell!

Check this article on NY times (6/28/10)
"....A study by Dell found that OptiPlex computers affected by the bad capacitors were expected to cause problems up to 97 percent of the time over a three-year period, according to the lawsuit...."

97% fauliar rate and Dell did not even bother to recall them back....

Since no company is problem proof... maybe it is good to see a company at least trying to recover the problem by recalling them back.

My only problem.... why wait so long...

oops... forgot the link
here it is...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?adxnnl=1&ref=technology&pagewanted=1&adxnnlx=1277895878-r4fZqd8kAqvHWMEtVhwlCA

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rollerdisco[/nom]Sony will probally has some legal crap with the firmware upgrade saying you cant sue for burns, if you download the update. Remember the PS3 way back when, you could do all kinds of nifty things. Then they took that from you, installed a patch with a new EULA saying you cant sue, and you agree to take it in the butt![/citation]

Lol, you gave me possibly the smartest or most retarded idea ever, an idea so retarded it's genius! I am going to make a EULA for my penis.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]gammaraptor[/nom]ouch xD. good thing i use an hp laptop. it heats up after around 12 hours, but i think that's cuz the batteries are dead... =][/citation]

Ha HP laptop.......funny....=P

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
i guarantee they are running nvidia chipset graphics.

every laptop ever made that runs nvidia chipset integrated graphics WILL overheat and it WILL eventually fail.

i've seen countless HP laptops with warped motherboards and just recently a Gateway. All of which had nvidia integrated graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS