Sony Says Make Restore Discs Yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

cregan89

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Worked at best buy. Sony and all other oem's haven't included recovery discs with their computers for YEARS. Way before the economy started to fall apart. The only laptop manufacturers I know of that include recovery discs right now are Dell and IBM Lenovo. All other manufacturers have a program that starts on first boot telling you to insert 2 blank dvd's and it will burn the recovery image onto them.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well MS should be loving this policy.
"But I had Windows on there already. Why do I have to buy it again?"

So what percentage of users do you think do this without being prompted?

exar333

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2004
This is old news; I bought a Sony Vaio for my girlfriend 2.5 years ago and this was the approach. I don't see an issue really. If you aren't bright enough to create the restore disk, your probably the person who would toss these out, after opening you computer anyway. :)

pyroholtz

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
What about a portion of the HDD dedicated to recovery as Dell and other manufacturers do. Now obviously this doesn't solve mechanical HDD failures, but its a start.

Thoughts?

G

Read the find print, the recovery dics must be made on bluray media.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
A very low percentage actually do it. I do warranty repairs all the time, and what usually happens is they have to purchase the discs from the manufacturer after they have the machine.

bloody_el

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
I worked over at Circuit City for 8 months up till they shut down. As far as I know, only Toshiba and Lenovo carry Restore Disks. Because I did work on people's computers through Firedog, and thats the only time I've seen them. HP, Compaq, Sony, Acer, and my girlfriends Dell (from Best Buy) did/does not come with Restore Disks.

mikeyp

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Actually this is not necessarily a reflection on the current economic climate. Sony has not been offering recovery discs for 1-1.5 years now!

I do not agree. Discs are cheap, how many consumers won't take the effort or will mess it up somehow or have a write error in the dics. The company should make the discs.

producepete

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I worked at Best Buy a couple years ago and at that time I only remember Toshiba models having recovery discs included. The rest was burn it yourself or have GeekSquad do it for you (for a fee of course). All in all a pretty lousy way to save a few cents at the most. Besides which, all the companies not providing discs where waiting for the user to have a crash or HD failure and then hit them up for money to provide discs (anywhere from $40 to $150 bucks for a recovery set depending on the manufacturer). Pretty lousy way of treating a customer if you ask me.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
HP has a built-in recovery partition on the hdd. So that if your PC needs to be restored, you just choose the recovery option upon booting and, boom, fresh from the factory OS.

MrManO1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Amongst HP, Acer, Gateway, EMachines, Toshiba, Dell, Compaq, and Sony - as of right now, only Dell provides full sets of recovery discs with their consumer level PCs. Up until roughly 6 months ago, most Toshibas came with discs and about a year ago Gateway/EMachines had the OS disc but not drivers/apps. All other discs had to be created by the user for the last 4 years or so.
Seems like a profitable scam to me - especially on laptops. In my profession, at a large electronics chain, wearing a tie - it seems like the average laptop hard drive only lasts 2 years with some dying much sooner and some dying later. At that point 99% of users don't have discs so they have to call the manufacturer, usually dishing out another $30 (give or take) and waiting a week or two.

It's not a way to save money, it's a way to make money.

t-bone steak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
The money maker for Sony isn't not making the discs to put in the box at POS, it is in charging $50 for them when the client needs them after a HD failure. Maybe every person won't lose a drive, but that is the most common component failure, especially in a laptop. So say 3% of Sony laptops loses a HD, (thousands of computers) multiplied by $50 minus cost of disc... pretty big chunk of change that nobody is going to notice them making until it is too late....

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
In my house, we have bought 3 notebooks in the last 3 years and not a single one came with a restore disk. Just a hidden hard drive partition, and *sometimes* a blank DVD. Its REALLY annoying and cheap.

G

Really old news. Other factors that led to this:
- making a master disk for each new laptop series is expensive, even for sony and other OEMs. There are LOTS of different models out there, and each would require a different master disk to make pressed copies from.
- by sending the ISOs instead of the pressed DVDs, they can update the install/image whenever they want, whenever they find a bug or want to update the shipped drivers.

These two are probably the main reasoning behind this move from the major OEMs.

duanes1967

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I don't think that it is so much about money. A few years ago (OK, maybe more than just a few), our company had terrible problems providing internet support for Packard Bell, Compaq and a number of other brands. The problem was that software updates like Win95-B had been slipstreamed into production and the pressed discs were not the same as the installed version.

Another issue is the newer flavors of MS activation that limits the number of installs. I'm sure that this is a tremendous headache for all of the vendors to support. So really, the lack of CD images is not surprising..... But you would think they could throw in a few cool colored blanks to make your reinstall set with.

duanes1967

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I don't think that it is so much about money. A few years ago (OK, maybe more than just a few), our company had terrible problems providing internet support for Packard Bell, Compaq and a number of other brands. The problem was that software updates like Win95-B had been slipstreamed into production and the pressed discs were not the same as the installed version.

Another issue is the newer flavors of MS activation that limits the number of installs. I'm sure that this is a tremendous headache for all of the vendors to support. So really, the lack of CD images is not surprising..... But you would think they could throw in a few cool colored blanks to make your reinstall set with.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
hp does this.. and i think the system is great because you can actually setup everything the way you want it.. run the restore software that takes a snapshot of your system and gives you that plus the seperate OS and software restore discs all in one easy to access area. it pops out iso images too so you can make as many copies as you want whenever you want. i think this type of system is great for techs as we are able to generate restore discs at any time since users/owers often loose or destroy them in one way or the other...

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
HP charges anywhere from $9 to $19 for a set of recovery DVD's with their notebooks. But they also include a recovery partition on the hard drive so you can get back to the factory settings, and let you create your own set of recovery discs.

You two guys in the article need to quit whining and take a reality check. Seriously, if you cannot create your own set of factory recovery discs, why the hell are you using a computer in the first place? If the recovery software doesn't work (highly unlikely) you have the option to send the unit back or request a set of discs be sent to you. Even then, Vista Ultimate comes with a full-system-backup utility. Are not not aware of the need to keep regular backups either? Oh, let me guess, you get a kick out of reinstalling all your apps and configuring your settings when your hard drive quits or you manage to totally screw up the OS.

Dextermat says:

Don't buy sony, cause their overcapitlist pigs that likes to be a pain in the ass with their lawsuits, DRM, rootkits.

Yes Sony was a great company in the 80-90, but since, it's just another crappy company like HP, Gateway, Dell. Sell high prices with little or no quality in the making..

Their channel is just as bad as Dell...

Anyway you've been warned!!

Aintry

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
That's really intelligent analysis, exar333. Sounds like you have a bright future with the Geek Squad.

When I bought my PC four years ago, it didn't come with recovery disks. To make matters worse, the hard drive on my computer failed before I had a chance to make any. Ooops.

After sending the computer company a number of angry e-mails, they replaced the hard drive (with no software installed) *and* sent me some factory-made recovery disks.

So, yeah, relying on the customer to make his own recovery disks is a pretty stupid idea in my opinion. In my case, I was left with a brand new, but completely useless, computer because I no longer had access to the OS. With recovery disks, I would at least have had the option of buying another hard drive while I waited for the computer company to act.

Status
Not open for further replies.