Sony Sells 1 Million PS4s in First 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I would assume that most of those were preorders. How does this compare to other console launches (PS3 and Xbox 360)?

People in Japan must be pissed about the delayed release. They are huge Sony supporters. If Microsoft released the new Xbox in a dozen other countries months ahead of the US, I know it would piss off tons of US Xbox fanboys.

Zachasaurs

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
well im pretty sure the ps4 is assembled and designed in japan by sony and they worry more about their american customers that the ones a block away.

Verrin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
@Zachasaurs

The PS4 was designed by an American, and the units were assembled by Foxconn. Neither of these took places in Japan, although I'm sure they had the support of Sony's Japanese Engineering team. But Sony is hugely multinational now, Japan isn't their biggest market anymore, and they have hardware and software engineers from all across the globe.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Eh, Sony only treats Japan like second rate customers because they know they've got them on the hook. Foreign products have tremendous difficulty breaking in to Japan - with a few minor exceptions - and the gaming console markets has proven to be one of the most xenophobic to foreign devices. This may be a first step towards eroding the Japanese gamer's nationalistic urge to avoid American consoles, but, Sony feels pretty safe with putting other countries first and likely rightly so.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Correction: "The PS4 console packs an eight-core 64-bit x86 Jaguar CPU from AMD; a GPU with a unified array of 18 compute units *from AMD*"
Although it really should read: "The PS4 console packs an AMD eight-core 64-bit x86 Jaguar CPU from AMD; an AMD GPU with a unified array of 18 compute units"

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
er, make that:
"Although it really should read: "The PS4 console packs an AMD eight-core 64-bit x86 Jaguar CPU; an AMD GPU with a unified array of 18 compute units""

16bit

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I wonder how xbox ones day one sale will compare. I'm curious to see if the initial bad PR about the xbox one will hurt sales, giving sony the lead.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Whoa, did I miss some news about some horrific production error? Are all initial release XBOX's going to have to be sent back to MS or a repair shop to get them working or something?

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
The only reason AMD was used is because they have cheaply priced components, because they decided to spend all their money on 8 GB of GDDR5 system ram.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008

I believe Durandul is referring to some news that came out last week that the XBox One will require a patch right out of the box once you get it home and plugged up before it will work* (or something along those lines)...this could potentially** be a tech support nightmare for Microsoft.

* Here is Tom's Hardware's report on that http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-one-day-one-patch,25056.html

** It has been my experience that several console owners aren't very tech savvy and have trouble with things like Network Addressing and such.

pastydavid

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
100% Xbones bricked at launch!!!? I head the report that it will require a software update. I will be curious to see how it works when I start mine up. I'll try it witout a network connection. Anyway, It hasn't been released yet so we will see.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I was able to buy one and then resell it for 650 with battle field 4 .. I played it on launch night.. was gone the next day .. I like it but its not 400 dollars cool to me of course its a pc pretending to be a game console and the graphics do look good especially for 400 bucks but I really want to get a r290 at this point. even if its overkill for a 1080p monitor.

lekzero

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I like electronic and hardware and therefore do not understand how some people (users / pc gamers like me) simply ignore the beauty that is the ps4

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
- All new hi-tech toys have glitches. We can expect the same amount from MS if they do a good job. Hence, many of us are not in a rush to buy the PS4. In my house-hold, we'll wait until next year (March or so) to buy the PS4. The Xbone is not even considered.

- SONY can stay on top of these defective units by promising a much faster turn-around time (3 days or so), not 3-5 weeks. Happy customers = better sales.

- XB1 will require the update before being functional. So in a sense, they are kinda-bricked... Not really seeing the issue here, other than those who DON'T have internet... or a good internet connection. The PS4's updates weren't mandatory. An MS failure would be a bad-update that actually DOES brick their consoles. This would be spotted pretty quick and they'd simply shut-it down... which would mean, non-functional Xbones. You can bet the MS Xbox team is working 24/7 making sure the update is ready.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
These were pre-orders mostly. Let me know how they do in Jan/Feb/March next year when all the devoted console fans are done :) The first Q of release is all the people who will buy the next gen no matter what (hardcore people), but shortly after you have to WOO people with good games etc which takes a few years to get out the door. Most console sales come in years 4-7 when the game catalog is huge and prices have dropped quite a bit usually. Also the kinks are worked out, power is dropped by releasing die shrinks etc. I didn't buy xbox360 until jasper fixed the RROD (3rd or 4th gen board? can't quite remember). I was uninterested the second my friends were shipping theirs back (more than once! in their first year) a LOT. I am a hardcore PC gamer, but I'd say casual for consoles as they don't have much I desire. I haven't turned it on (or my ps2s) in 2+yrs. Casual people this time, will have 20nm/16nm/14nm on tablets, phones, SOC consoles, Shield rev2/rev3 etc over the next 3yrs to look at vs. consoles. At that point I believe consoles are completely dead if they even get that far. Game quality on mobile will be FAR better than today and even some of today's stuff is pretty impressive. I'm pretty sure someone will release an ARM SOC based 100w console in the near future also which can allow for xbox1/ps4 like clocks and power immediately without waiting for say 10nm to surpass consoles. Their only problem right now is trying to fit in a tablet/phone format. Slap them in a 100watt xbox1 sized box and how fast will you be even at only 20nm next xmas?

Google/Apple/Amazon all have the money to ask say NV or Qcom to make a special chip with 4x the gpu cores so they can run a 100w box at or near ps4/xbox1 power. NV already knows how to scale gpu cores from kepler mobile all the way to 780ti etc. It can't be much to ask for a Tegra5 with 768 cores or something (as opposed to the tablet 192core version that will come first), then put two in the box. That is pretty much an xbox1 then right? Considering T4 is made probably selling for $25, we're not talking more than $75-100 in chips. Any of the 3 companies mentioned (heck NV or samsung, qcom probably can do this also, just to get android gaming boosted) can do this and sell them at a break even as they all have stores and make money from ads or transactions of software sales. Simply cutting out a bluray drive and having 20nm on your side next year should be enough to allow powerful $300 or less priced boxes that possibly stream your PC's gpu for even more TV gaming (if NV is involved likely a given). Your library is already HUGE from android and PC in that case vs. consoles maybe having 50games each next xmas? A lot of casual (and even some hardcore) will go mobile instead of a year 4-7 console. If any of the big boys do a 100w ARM box as a console soon or with 20nm I'm thinking even year 1.5-4 will suck for consoles just due to the HUGE library already available and coming as 60% of devs are making mobile games vs. less than 12% for next gen consoles (and single digits for wiiu, vita, 3ds). Add another 40% from PC devs making games and you have a MUCH larger library being formed on Mobile+PC (which is why NV should be involved to stream PC gpus giving ARM consoles a shot in the...well, ARM....LOL). Consoles are dead, most people just can't see the writing on the wall quite yet.

The interesting console numbers will be Q1 not xmas as both are new and full of pre-order people in the first two months. I'm guessing the pre-orders basically sold PS4 out in 24hrs. They are selling for $630-1150 on amazon right now, so only hardcore people will be biting now as everyone buying that wasn't a pre-order is getting raped by pre-order resells. Newegg and Amazon themselves have zero stock. So it looks like everyone who bought had a pre-order and what you see now is all of those being re-sold to suckers who don't mind paying double for it to ensure an xmas gift I guess. There are people that do this with every major product launch (iphones, gs4 etc). I can't wait to see Q1 sales after all this BS and pre-order stuff is over, not to mention seeing how many are stopped after seeing ISSUES crop up like RROD. PS4's shutting down without warning already etc? How bad will this get? Are people who were affected by RROD last time going to sit this xmas out to find out how both do after some people get some mega usage hours on them over xmas? It didn't take long for RROD news to get out, and it appears PS4 has day one problems already. How ISOLATED are PS4 issues really? I can assure you Sony won't be telling the truth but web complaints should mount a pretty good sized picture in a few months easily. How many BRICKED xmas gifts will users get? Turn it on, update hits and oops...Back to your PC/Tablet kids, your PS4 is broke for now...LOL. Can't wait for RROD rev2...LOL.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I'm also pretty sure Sony sales will dwarf Xbox1 for xmas sales, if only due to all the bad press, lower perf, upscaling info already out there etc. I'm pretty sure Sony got a large boost just due to all the bad MS press and people instantly saying Xbox1 is a NON purchase for them. It will be interesting to see if Xbox1 sells out too (or if MS does a smaller launch just to make sure it sells out...LOL). At this point MS has to at least launch with a few million units I'd think or look bad with Sony selling out in a day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.