Sony Ships 2 High-speed TransferJet Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
what's another example of an "electrically noisy" apparatus? Like something that produces alot of waves? Would a plasma TV be electrically noisy?

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
alswome, looks like SSD's arew about to be faster, cheaper and more common. cheaper = todays technology will be wortheless to this= cheap
this is alsome. i bet the next step will be to condense this even smaller

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]3 centimeters? How does that compete with bluetooth, exactly? I think this needs to be explained a little better...[/citation]

Well you'd need less power to transmit and receive due to the short expected distance.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Can't see this going very far if it's to be marketed as a bluetooth replacement.3cm range? People tend to use bluetooth for their phone to send pics, in that case the files are usually small (plus up to 10 metres range). If I have to swap large files with a phone, I'll just use a micro sd card. The other popular use for Bluetooth is wireless headsets, again, not very useful with a 3cm range.

However, as a backup device, it could have applications (put your laptop next to your portable hdd and copy files, no cables). Either way, Sony will probably murder it (with their history of failed tech offerings except 3.5" floppy and Bluray)

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
What are you all talking about. It does not have a 3 cm range. Read: "Data transfer activates by moving one TransferJet device within 3 centimeters of the other TransferJet device." It clearly says - to activate data transfer you have to move it within 3cm to the other device. Says nothing about a 3cm range.

nawat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I like the idea of 3cm activation. It makes a lot of sense. Instead of turning on your bluetooth, put the device in discovery mode (which exposes the device to threats like worms on the symbian OS), and ask your friend for his device's name, you can just put your phone next to his and that's it. 3cm is too near to be accidental too.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Most microwaves, in the US anyways, operate in the 2.45Ghz band. And all RF sensitive equipment are subject to EM interference from noisy electronics (i.e. large AC motors, including your typical vacuum cleaner).

gmcboot

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
This is suppose to only be used as a data transfer device. It is not meant to be used as a replacement for bluetooth in the area of network communications. Think it used in smart phones, digital cameras, and other small devices that could use a fast wireless transfer medium. Transfer medium not a permanent network connection. If this can be implemented cheaply in devices it could be a boon. Set you digital camera, smart phone, e-reader next to your laptop or PC and they sync up automatically and a lot quicker thank 802.11x or Bluetooth. No wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.