Sony STR-DN1040 Shuts Off When Volume Is Turned Up to 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony_greene

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
I have received an STR-DN1040 receiver, I am using a pair of KEF K120s with it (these speakers fall within what the receiver can output) and it shuts off when the volume is at 15. I really don't get it.

Solution
Sounds like overload protection is kicking in. Where on the scale does 15 fall? Is it a dB scale, or 0-100? The K120 speakers only need 10-80 watts to operate and shouldn't be loading that amp too much with just the 2 units, but if you have a full surround setup you have to pay more attention to power requirements and speaker loads. The spec for your receiver is 100w per channel into 6 ohms with 2 channels driven and your speakers are 8 ohms. If you don't have any other speakers connected and it is in fact an overload fault, then the speaker(s) might have a short in the coil (or there could be a short somewhere else so double check your wiring). It could also be shutting down erroneously (IE: no short or overload, but still shuts...
Sounds like overload protection is kicking in. Where on the scale does 15 fall? Is it a dB scale, or 0-100? The K120 speakers only need 10-80 watts to operate and shouldn't be loading that amp too much with just the 2 units, but if you have a full surround setup you have to pay more attention to power requirements and speaker loads. The spec for your receiver is 100w per channel into 6 ohms with 2 channels driven and your speakers are 8 ohms. If you don't have any other speakers connected and it is in fact an overload fault, then the speaker(s) might have a short in the coil (or there could be a short somewhere else so double check your wiring). It could also be shutting down erroneously (IE: no short or overload, but still shuts down.)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.