Sony: "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an ..

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.game-boy,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,comp.sys.handhelds,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.handheld (More info?)

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=454
Aug 26th
In six days' time Europe will experience the biggest hardware launch since
PlayStation 2 in 2000, with Sony insisting that any competition with
Nintendo is 'irrelevant'.
August 26th by Johnny Minkley and Dave Roberts

In six days' time Europe will experience the biggest hardware launch since
PlayStation 2 in 2000, with Sony insisting that any competition with
Nintendo is 'irrelevant'.

And after a hard year for the High Street, PSP brings with it what the trade
hopes will be a long-awaited turning point in the fortunes of the market and
the promise of a bumper Q4.

Despite shortages, Sony's handheld has already launched to great success in
Japan and the US. And while delays have pushed back the release of the
system in PAL territories until September 1st, the £179.99 unit is expected
to prove a sell-out.

With the final part of the global launch jigsaw almost in place, backed with
a massive £10m cross-media marketing campaign, SCEE expects its dominance in
the home console arena to drive its debut handheld system to success,
dismissing the challenge of sector leader Nintendo.

"The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance," VP of
studios Phil Harrison insisted to MCV. "Those formats don't appear in our
planning. It's not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress.
That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it's the truth.

"Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that
down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire
Pokémon.

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical
race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen," Harrison
continued. "But I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a
gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct
result of that."

But Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes there is enough room for
both systems in the market: "Longterm, I see DS expanding Nintendo's
demographic upward to the high teens," he told MCV. "I see Sony's PSP
expanding the 'mobile' demographic to the 30s. Both will expand the overall
market by providing an outlet for gameplay beyond the home or office."

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:54:44 -0500, nam75 wrote:

> "Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that
> down; and it's pretty much defined by a boy or girl's ability to admire
> Pokémon.

Heh. Marketeers are always so prone to sounding polemic. I am well past
thirty, and I use my GBA SP mostly for playing chess and the occasional
pinball session. Most (all?) games I have seen for the PSP appeal to a far
more action-oriented audience. Worst of all, though, is the battery life.
For what I want a handheld gaming device for, four hours just don't cut it.
The PSP also seems a little unwieldly, but that may just be me. In the
current situation, I'd probably be more likely to get a micro than a PSP
(though the PSP certainly does look attractive in various ways, I just
don't feel I belong to the target audience). Then again, with PocketPCs and
palms getting really cheap now, I'd probably opt for one of those rather
than for a new handheld gaming device (much better chess software available
there, too). For full-fleged gaming, I have a state-of-the-art PC.

> "I see Sony's PSP
> expanding the 'mobile' demographic to the 30s.

Well, I don't, but then again, many people of the PSone generation are now
approaching mid-twenties and thirty, so perhaps that does make sense after
all. Gaming habits and preferences don't just vanish when you get older. I
still enjoy the same type of games that I had fun with twenty years ago.

M.