Sony to Macintosh xfer?

I have a Sony Trv-350 camcorder which I wish to use to import video to
my Macintosh running OS 10.3.4.

I have read that this is possible, even though Sony doesn't support
this. Does anyone have any experience doing this? What software have
you used? Do you have advice to make this more successful?

buzz off wrote:

> I have a Sony Trv-350 camcorder which I wish to use to import video to
> my Macintosh running OS 10.3.4.
>
> I have read that this is possible, even though Sony doesn't support
> this. Does anyone have any experience doing this? What software have
> you used? Do you have advice to make this more successful?

Sony doesn't support what? You take your Sony camcorder you plug it
into the firewire from your computer. You press play on the camcorder
and rec on the computer capture program, and you capture. Which part of
that does Sony not support?

-Richard

In article <g3oyc.17277285$Id.2855967@news.easynews.com>, Richard Ragon
<bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:

> buzz off wrote:
>
> > I have a Sony Trv-350 camcorder which I wish to use to import video to
> > my Macintosh running OS 10.3.4.
> >
> > I have read that this is possible, even though Sony doesn't support
> > this. Does anyone have any experience doing this? What software have
> > you used? Do you have advice to make this more successful?
>
> Sony doesn't support what? You take your Sony camcorder you plug it
> into the firewire from your computer. You press play on the camcorder
> and rec on the computer capture program, and you capture. Which part of
> that does Sony not support?
>
> -Richard

Although I don't remember the exact wording, Sony has a disclaimer in
my manual which says that the video transfer is only supported on a PC.

Further, the TRV350 is not listed in Apple's list of supported
camcorders for imovie.

I have connected my camera to my Macintosh with a FireWire Cable and
the camera is shown as the attached. I have not been able to transfer
video. Do you have a suggestion as to what software I should be using?

Thanks.

buzz off wrote:

> In article <g3oyc.17277285$Id.2855967@news.easynews.com>, Richard Ragon
> <bsema04NOSPAM@hanaho.com> wrote:
>

>>buzz off wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Sony Trv-350 camcorder which I wish to use to import video to
>>>my Macintosh running OS 10.3.4.
>>>
>>>I have read that this is possible, even though Sony doesn't support
>>>this. Does anyone have any experience doing this? What software have
>>>you used? Do you have advice to make this more successful?
>>
>>Sony doesn't support what? You take your Sony camcorder you plug it
>>into the firewire from your computer. You press play on the camcorder
>>and rec on the computer capture program, and you capture. Which part of
>>that does Sony not support?
>>
>>-Richard
>>

> Although I don't remember the exact wording, Sony has a disclaimer in
> my manual which says that the video transfer is only supported on a PC.

Yeah, and probably because you don't have a Sony computer too I'll bet..

> Further, the TRV350 is not listed in Apple's list of supported
> camcorders for imovie.
>
> I have connected my camera to my Macintosh with a FireWire Cable and
> the camera is shown as the attached. I have not been able to transfer
> video. Do you have a suggestion as to what software I should be using?
>
> Thanks.

I have movie on my G4, but I have to admit not every using it. I use
Final Cut. One would imagine that iMovie has a capture screen?

Make sure you have the Camera plugged into the Firewire, and the other
end of the firware plug into the computer. Then launch iMovie, and look
for something like, "Log and Capture Media". This should bring up a
screen for capturing Audio and Video. Make sure your preset modes have
Capture mode over firewire, and that your camera is on VTR mode. The
capture screen should have a video window, plus play buttons, ect.
Firewire lets you use these play buttons as your VTR controls. Start the
VTR, and hit the capture NOW button.

You might have various settings you'll have to make first though.. let
using DV codec, where to put these capture files, ect,ect..

Like I said, never used iMovie for capturing, but imagine it's not that
difficult. Using Final Cut Pro's Log and Capture is a breeze!! Every
time I use it, I always find some little item that makes me go.. gee,
that's kewl!

I'm encoding a DVD right now, Id go into iMovie and look for you.. so I
don't want to touch anything while I'm doing that. I'll let you know in
about 20 minutes.

-Richard

> Although I don't remember the exact wording, Sony has a disclaimer in
> my manual which says that the video transfer is only supported on a PC.

You're mis-reading things. Thousands (possibly tens of thousands) of us
capture Sony camcorder footage directly into Macs each and every day.

> Further, the TRV350 is not listed in Apple's list of supported
> camcorders for imovie.

If your camcorder has a firewire port (Remember Apple invented FIREWIRE),
it will work fine.

> I have connected my camera to my Macintosh with a FireWire Cable and
> the camera is shown as the attached. I have not been able to transfer
> video. Do you have a suggestion as to what software I should be using?

Since iMovie is free on every Mac, it's the simplest way.

Any stock Macintosh sold in the past few years will import video with
nothing more than the hardware and software what came with the original
computer.

Sounds like you're missing the step of firing up iMovie. You NEED some
video capable software running. That's all.

Good luck.

--
Bill Davis
NewVideo