Sony to Show Off VR Headset at TGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Man I never thought I would see the day. I remember the talk of VR when I was a kid in the 80's, so many movies made it look awesome. Then when there were some actual attempts in the 90's, but they were beyond lame.

Hopefully this new wave of VR prototypes will spawn something great. I think that we are at a point technology-wise that this is feasible now.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Would be great if they'd come out with a really good solution before I drop money on more monitors and video cards for surround.

Done right, this could offer an immersive experience in games that monitors will find very difficult to match. Done wrong it's an uncomfortable, cheap image that doesn't do more than attach a monitor type viewpoint to your head.

;)

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I think VR has a lot to offer. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to implement and render a single 1080p display that changes the POV with the motion of your head than to surround yourself with 3 x 1 or 5 x 1 1080p displays. Plus, you can have active 3D without any shutter effect. And you can game anywhere without needing to hang a TV on the wall or plop a monitor on a desk. Add to that better ambient light control, head POV input for the game, and other benefits. It needs to be as light as a pair of active shutter glasses plus a headset.

G

they have been shipping a head mounted 3d display system for over a year. this is just the updated version which they already announced

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
sony... you give me crappy headphones its a deal breaker at any price. give us a screen, and let us deal with headphones.

you also put in a gyroscope too.

Status
Not open for further replies.