Sony To Twitter: Remove Tweets With Leaked Emails Or Face Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
It's sad to watch Sony try to put the genie back into the bottle the same way they tried when their Playstation devices first got hacked.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I'm sorry, but doesn't this fall squarely on First Amendment free speech and freedom of the press (yes, the populace in general can be the press, being paid for posting or not)?
Sony are bluffing on this and it is obvious.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I don't know how relevant this is, but didn't Craigslist get sued some years ago, and the courts ruled that the owners of the website were not responsible for the content posted on it by users? This may fall under that precedent.

videobear

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
They are not bluffng, and they have plenty of legal precedent to back them up. They will sue everyone in sight to try to keep their private data private, and they have a heck of a lot more money than guys like Broeksmitt. He's an idiot and he's going to be steamrollered.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Some of you think this has to do with the First Amendment??? Possession and dissemination of STOLEN property is a Felony. There is ZERO "Public right to know" what is in someones PERSONAL email. There is ZERO "Public right to know" what's in Sony PRIVATE business plan. It doesn't matter how many "names" someone gets called, or if someone get's made fun of. Possession and dissemination of STOLEN property is a Felony - in EVERY state.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
How about Sony take security seriously in the first place? Yes, you have the right to stop Twitter from knowingly allowing your property to be posted, but like others have said, the damage is already done. This is the second large hack you've had in the past few years. Your credibility and brand has been diminished and there's nothing you can do about it. Running around suing won't stop the spread of your data and will only further damage the brand. Sony, you royally screwed up and it's only to get worse no matter what you do.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
"SPE also wants Twitter to take preventive measures to ensure that Twitter employees will not gain access to the stolen information, and to destroy any copies that Twitter may have obtained."

So SPE demands that Twitter should take preventive measures when sony networks are hacked on a monthly basis it would seem, why not contain the fire at its source! You know - Before it even starts to spread. Its not the first time a Sony network get hacked and yet the lesson don't seem to be learned and then hear them cry like babies, and it wont be the last we read about sony networks getting hacked.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
They are not bluffng, and they have plenty of legal precedent to back them up. They will sue everyone in sight to try to keep their private data private, and they have a heck of a lot more money than guys like Broeksmitt. He's an idiot and he's going to be steamrollered.
Name one court case that they have to back them up? When it comes to freedom of the press, that right is pretty much sacrosanct, they can even post things that would have other people labeled traitors because of the freedom of the press.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Some of you think this has to do with the First Amendment??? Possession and dissemination of STOLEN property is a Felony. There is ZERO "Public right to know" what is in someones PERSONAL email. There is ZERO "Public right to know" what's in Sony PRIVATE business plan. It doesn't matter how many "names" someone gets called, or if someone get's made fun of. Possession and dissemination of STOLEN property is a Felony - in EVERY state.
Not when you are talking about the press. They pretty much get a pass under those laws in the real world because they are doing their job as JOURNALISTS! Now, the actual people who hacked Sony... THEM you can go after but good fricking luck finding them.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I guess $ony thinks that the DMCA safe harbor act doesn't apply to anyone they have issue with, they are above the law....well the user can be in trouble but the lawsuit thing against twitter is frivolous. PC master race btw :p .

G

Didn't this site post some emails? Some tabloids definitely did, I remember reading employees that were tired of Adam Sandler. And the salaries of a lot of people. One guy even did a gender salary gap study?

It does seem strange that as soon as data is stolen, people think it is public domain. I can download movies and music easily, does that make them public domain? I sure hope so, lol.

In my opinion Sony continually gets hacked and still chooses not to take necessary precautions over the years then they deserve what they got and suing twitter is just silly once something is on the internet it is there forever how can twitter be responsible for someone else posting something sue the person posting the information why should it be twitters burden on resources to police who posts what.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
For those crying foul because of First amendment rights, you might want to understand what falls under protected speech. Discussing the hack is legally allowed, it's covered. However posting the stolen emails isn't covered. This is not protected speech. Posting this is akin to possession of stolen property, and falls under various IP laws (rightfully so I might add). By displaying this information these websites could be aiding and abetting. Courts have previously upheld verdicts and injunctions where stolen information was posted. What makes this interesting is that this has never happened on such a scale and users can link to information. The DMCA has a safe harbor provision that protects websites if they attempt to actively prevent this from occurring and are willing to take down such information. If a lawsuit does come out of this (and I'm almost positive it will), it will become a test case that really lays out what is and isn't legally allowed.

If you have a gripe with this just ask yourself if you're willing to have the most embarrassing email or phone call you ever made posted on the front page of the New York Times, or Washington post for a week.

As for Sony not protecting itself, the general consensus is that this is a new class of attack that no company could have been prepared for. Just like Target was the first, Sony is the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.