sony trv720 firewire connection?

After reading through some threads, I bought a Sony TRV720 to use as a
media converter for Vegas 4. I read where many people use this
camcorder this way. I have a firewire card OHCI EEEE 1394. Got the
card at same time and in same order with Vegas. This is all new to
me. Just installed the firewire card today. The Firewire plug that
should go into the camcorder does not fit. It is not the same size.
There is nothing in the TRV720 manual about Firewire. But everyone is
doing this.

Do I need an adapter? Can anyone help on this?

Thanks...

Carolro

Carol R wrote:

> The Firewire plug that should go into the camcorder does not
> fit. It is not the same size.

There are two types of Firewire connectors: 4-pin ones and 6-pin
ones. The Sony camcorders have 4-pin connectors, many Firewire
cards have 6-pin connectors, so you need a cable which has a 4-pin
connector at one end and a 6-pin connector at the other.

> There is nothing in the TRV720 manual about Firewire.

Firewire is officially called "IEEE-1394". The term "Firewire"
is Apple's marketing name for it whereas Sony uses the name
"i.Link" for the same purpose. Despite of the different names,
Firewire and i.Link both mean the same standard: IEEE-1394.

--
znark