Sony TV can't recognize the external HDD.

Apr 18, 2020
The problematic HDD - HX - M500TCB/GMR - is a very generic external hard drive and I had no problem before... The TV is a - KD - 49XG7096 - which fail to show the HDD in its menu. The LED glow blue, but the disk inside feels motionless... After formatting the HDD (which was completely full) the issue changed a bit. The disk started to move and stop periodically.

Other TVs like - KD - 43XF8505 - have no problem opening the hard drive... even old ones like : Smart Tech (model nr: LE-39Z1) and Samsung (model nr : UE32EH4003)...

The TV should support almost every disk formats (tried exFat, FAT32, NTFS) and sizes up to 4 terabyte...

On other sites people said that my TV have not enough juice for running the hard drive properly ... But the old TVs i mentioned have the same mA power as the one with the problem...

kanewolf

Titan
The problematic HDD - HX - M500TCB/GMR - is a very generic external hard drive and I had no problem before... The TV is a - KD - 49XG7096 - which fail to show the HDD in its menu. The LED glow blue, but the disk inside feels motionless... After formatting the HDD (which was completely full) the issue changed a bit. The disk started to move and stop periodically.

Other TVs like - KD - 43XF8505 - have no problem opening the hard drive... even old ones like : Smart Tech (model nr: LE-39Z1) and Samsung (model nr : UE32EH4003)...

The TV should support almost every disk formats (tried exFat, FAT32, NTFS) and sizes up to 4 terabyte...

On other sites people said that my TV have not enough juice for running the hard drive properly ... But the old TVs i mentioned have the same mA power as the one with the problem...
If the disk is powered by the USB, then it is possible the TV is not providing sufficient power. Try a powered USB hub. Or if the external disk has an option for external power, try that.

Apr 18, 2020
If the disk is powered by the USB, then it is possible the TV is not providing sufficient power. Try a powered USB hub. Or if the external disk has an option for external power, try that.
If that is the case then why the older TVs with the same mA power USB ports can provide enough power for the hard drive? The mentioned older TVs have 500 mA and they can open the HDD.

kanewolf

Titan
If that is the case then why the older TVs with the same mA power USB ports can provide enough power for the hard drive? The mentioned older TVs have 500 mA and they can open the HDD.
I don't know. Ratings are one thing, real world is another. Get a USB meter. See what happens to the voltage and amperage. I can only suggest a possibility since I have no more insight than you do.

TRENDING THREADS