SONY VAIO BUSINESS NOTEBOOKS: Don't Let Their Good Looks Deceive You

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougarsmitty

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Nice specs, nice layout and an interesting take on graphics. However, Windows 7 Home Premium is why this product won't go far in the business world.

r0g

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Preloaded with a metric butt-ton of crap and proprietary as hell - not for me thanks. Hopefully they've mended their ways now but I've always thought of Sony as an all shirt and no trousers manufacturer, and a very expensive shirt at that! If you want a good value laptop Toshiba are cheaper, more reliable and they'll actually sell you spare parts rather than make you use the hideously expensive "authorized" repair shops when it does break. If you want beautiful, don't mind highly proprietary behavior and money is no object get an Apple, they can run windows these days if that's your bag.

G

wow, not for the notebooks, but for the text !

that's not a review, its a love letter ! when they talk about the i3/5/7 intel family!

couldn't get to the end, too much declared love for me in there !

and BTW, Anomalyx you're darn right ... and if they change bios and I'm not able to run Linux or FreeBSD ?

thanks, but no thanks.

lsilvest

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
1. Since when is Sony associated with quality audio?

2. Vaio products have a history of bugs and problems, especially with heat in both laptops and desktops.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Is this a review or an advertisement?

"At the heart of every Sony VAIO business notebook PC is the best engineered processing engines the world has ever seen: Intel’s Core i3, i5, and i7 processors."

"The Sony engineers are charged with this mission: Sacrifice nothing."

lol cmon seriously can someone actually review this model instead of spending the whole time jizzing all over sony and intel?

cgramer

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]flacoman3[/nom]Is this a review or an advertisement?[/citation]

It's an advertisement. Note the "SPONSORED" part of the headline. I missed it at first, too. D'oh! :)

superjesus

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
The best comments are coming from the people who missed the "SPONSORED" in the title.

"can someone actually review this model instead of spending the whole time jizzing all over sony and intel?" FTW!

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
doh!
New rule for me: read first, get mad second!

I thought it was going to be a negative review because of the title; "Don't let good looks deceive you" to me implies that it will look good but perform badly.

Am I the only one that understood it it that way?

user5910

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I am struck by the pointlessness of me reading a sponsored article like this one. When I want to read Sony marketing materials I go the Sony web site. But these articles are not here for me the reader, they are here to generate revenue for Tom's, so given that I suppose a few of these are better than more banner and sidebar ads because they are so much easier to ignore.

Sony, believe it or not, at one time was quality goods. Those days seem to have slipped away into being average (while keeping the quality premium price)... perhaps a little less when looking at the reliability of the Vaio computer products.

G

I read this only so the employees of Toms' excellent site can take a taxi to pick up their food stamps, rather than public transportation.

G

Tom's used to be the first place I looked for reliable information, going
back many years. The last couple of years it appears the almighty dollar has guided their so called reviews

G

This reads like it was written by a Sony mAdman. Oh, look in the title the first word in Sponsored, thanks that helps. Without it I might have had to read more that two pages of their ad before catching on. Yes, I know I am slow. I don't like restrictive equipment that also force feeds crap-ware. I five TomsHardward an A for warning me and Sony as usual a D for deceit.

purrcatian

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
As a rule, if it doesn't have a trackpoint, I am not interested. It would help if they were more durable, had better battery life, and didn't come loaded with crapware. Until these things change, I will pass on any Sony laptop.

Sivert69

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
I don't trust Sony, after the Root-kit scandal and the PS3 lies (PS2 games can't be used on PS3), so I decided to throw Sony out of my inventory!

Now the "PS3 lies" depend on your model. The original releases will still play PS2 games.... My Fat PS3 (last of the high-end 80GB models, with media card slots) Will still play (at least most) PS2 games even with 3.60 installed. The thinner ones, well, I don't think they even advertise that ability any more. (At least since they dropped it.) I'm not a fan of it being dropped, neither am I of the "Other OS" option.

As far as the root-kit scandal, That WAS a bad move on Sony's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.