Sony vaio laptop audio output HDMI not working in samsung monitor T23A750

myliuuu

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hello,
I've recently purchased a Samsung T23A750 monitor and to my disappointment when I try to watch a movie the built in speakers are not functioning. I have a Sony Vaio Z216GX connected via HDMI to the monitor (HDMI-DVI) port. I can definitely see the video, but no audio is playing from the speakers. The built in speakers are not at fault- I did a self-diagnosis of the monitor and the speakers seem to work fine. I also set the monitor as the default for the audio and even when Win 7 says its functioning properly, the speakers still don't work. Conversely, setting the default to my PC speakers work fine. I'm sure its not the HDMI cable- I used the same one to hook my pc to my tv with everything working fine. Any ideas?? I hope I don't have to return this item.

myliuuu

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Well if you care, I ended up returning the samsung monitor. I spoke with samsung techs who then proceeded to have me test my PS3 with the monitor resulting in the same effect- no sound from the monitor speakers. Turns out the monitor is most likely defected so she suggested I return the monitor to samsung. I ended up returning the monitor all together and got a new one. Good luck with your decision

RideSober

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
This is a bug in the Samsung monitor. I had this exact same problem, and confirmed it on all my HDMI devices (TV, Blu ray player, etc.).

I returned a brand new monitor, and got another one assuming I had just received a bad monitor.

The second new monitor I received had the same problem.

After reading anecdotal information from a couple different places, I realized this was a problem with some Samsung monitors attributed to the name of the HDMI 1 input. It seems the standard name of HDMI input 1 as it comes from Samsung somehow prevents it from allowing digital audio via HDMI.

I found another post about this where the name of HDMI was simply changed from "PC/DVI" to PC, and the problem was solved. It seems you can rename HDMI1, or do what I did, and simply use HDMI2.

It is totally crazy, but I was on the phone with Samsung several times with no resolution, and in the end they wanted me to return my monitor for warranty repair. They did not even seem to consider that it was my second monitor with the same problem, pretty sad...

Now that I have mine on HDMI2, 3D blu rays are beautiful through my ATI Radeon HD6750 graphics card, and Realtek HDMI digital sound is great.

RideSober

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I just confirmed by selecting source, HDMI1 (which is prenamed DVI/PC), then hitting the tools button, and then the rename option from tools, then selecting PC, the audio will work fine on HDMI1 PC. Samsung has no guidance on this, and it is hard to believe they don't even seem to be aware of the problem with every one of these monitors.

This is a great monitor once you resolve this silly problem.

gnani_sekar

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Hi,

I am using S24D390 Samsung 24 inch monitor - same issue. Can you please let me know where is the tools button. Is this setup is in Monitor? because I am not able to see the Tools button in my monitor.