Question Sony Vaio laptop is not entering into BIOS even when the SSD is removed ?

May 7, 2023
Model - Sony Vaio SVE171E13W
Processor - i7-3rd GEN
Installed RAM - 4 GB (DDR3)
Product Link - https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/support/laptop-pc-sve-series/sve17135cv/specifications

I had a hard disk which had Windows and Ubuntu in Dual Boot mode (GPT, UEFI). Everything was working fine.
I got an SSD (256GB, EVM, Product Link - https://evmzone.com/256gb-ssd-2-5-inch-sata.html ). I installed Linux into it and before doing so, I removed the hard drive, entered into BIOS using the Assist Key and changed the boot to UEFI. I am not sure, rather I don't remember if I changed any other settings. Then I installed the Ubuntu on the new SSD. For a friend, I created a Windows 10 x64 version bootable drive, and I tested it on my laptop if it's booting or not. It did boot, but I am not sure if the USB was set to MBR or GPT or if the secure boot was enabled. But I used Ventoy software to create the bootable image. Once the system booted up from that USB, I think I abruptly removed the power and went to do some other work.

This is when all the problems started!!

Now I am unable to enter into BIOS even when I remove the SSD, and there is no external device connected to the laptop (only RAM stick, AC Adapter and No battery). The display does not even show "No operating system" when I have removed the SSD. It just displays blank black screen, the keyboard's backlight are operating and then after some time, they turn off. The Num Lock and Caps Lock keys are operating as the indication LEDs are operating .

Now, when I put back my SSD, the computer boots up from the SSD and my OS is working just fine. In fact, the performance has improved since I installed the SSD (expected, of course). But I am unable to boot from the Windows bootable USB. I am able to boot from the Linux Bootable USB. When I put back my OLD HDD which had Dual Boot (Windows 10 + Linux), ONLY linux OS booted up.

I removed the back cover and removed the CMOS cell and kept it overnight hoping the BIOS would reset, but nothing changed. It is AS IT IS.

I am out of idea, can anyone please suggest me how I can solve this problem? I will provide with additional information as required.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For a friend, I created a Windows 10 x64 version bootable drive, and I tested it on my laptop if it's booting or not. It did boot, but I am not sure if the USB was set to MBR or GPT or if the secure boot was enabled. But I used Ventoy software to create the bootable image.
Why didn't you just use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate a bootable USB installer?

May 7, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For a friend, I created a Windows 10 x64 version bootable drive, and I tested it on my laptop if it's booting or not. It did boot, but I am not sure if the USB was set to MBR or GPT or if the secure boot was enabled. But I used Ventoy software to create the bootable image.
Why didn't you just use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate a bootable USB installer?
Hi! Thanks for the welcome message! A 32GB USB Stick as a complementary welcome gift would have been amazing :p

I could not create using the Windows Media Creation Tool because I did not have access of a Windows Machine. I will try this, but do you think it will solve the problem of my machine not entering into BIOS?