Sony VAIO VPC-Z11QGX/S replacement screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjpatey

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi, all-

I have a Sony VAIO VPC-Z11QGX/S 13.1" laptop (2010 dual-SSD model) with a cracked screen which is completely unreadable. I've been running Ubuntu on it, using an external monitor. But a recent update to Ubuntu causes it to freeze immediately after logging in, so it's been unusable.

When I try to run Ubuntu live from a USB stick, the VAIO doesn't recognize the stick as a boot device. Normally, I'd go into the BIOS setup or hit a function key to tell it to boot from the external stick manually, but without its internal screen, I can't see the BIOS setup or any other on-screen text during the boot process.

So! Two questions:

1. Any chance there's an adapter to let me run a cable out from the VAIO's internal display connector (which would normally connect to its internal screen) to an external monitor?

or...

2. Where on earth can I find a replacement screen for this thing? As recently as 3 months ago, I was seeing listings for a genuine Sony part for $90, and lesser equivalents for $70-$80, but couldn't justify the expense until now... and now that I can, it's nowhere to be found.

If anyone can point me in the right direction on either of those, I would be grateful! Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

-Mark

mjpatey

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

mjpatey

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Thanks for the tip! That makes a lot of sense... I will give it a try.

Unfortunately, the Amazon link you posted is one of many that shows the screen is not currently available, out of stock, etc. I'm getting the same results on specialty sites. Everyone acknowledges that there is such a screen, but nobody has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.