Sony VAIO Win 8 wont load

Apr 9, 2018
During a windows update battery fell out of laptop. Now windows wo't load. Goes straight to VAIO care program which can not repair. I do not have the original product key What can I do to revive mu laptop?

Solution
There are several bootable diagnostic packages for dvd or flash drives that have recovery software included as well as a plethora of other tools.
These include, but not limited to, The Ultimate Boot disk, Hiren's Boot disk, Active Boot disk, and Trinity Rescue.

If Puppy can mount your drive then you should be able to copy off any files it finds. I don't believe it has any Tools to dig deeper but I'm also not positive since I have separate pc just for recovering from other people drives.
Apr 9, 2018
Unfortunately that did not work. VAIO care responded: "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC". I downloaded Win 8.1 on a DVD, but when I try to use the repair function it gives me the same response. I could install win8.1 over win8 but I dont won't to loose all of my Office files that I use for work.

popatim

Titan
Good thing because I wasn't trying to repair your system, just completely wipe and reinstall the factory installation.

You should backup the HDD or just the important data first then. You will need a drive to back the data up to before you begin. Then you use the Rescue function within CARE's Recovery Wizard. This will not work if the drive is encrypted.
http://docs.esupport.sony.com/pc/SVS13A2_S1312_S1512_series/EN/contents/04/19/07/07.html

Once your data is rescued you can proceed with the remainder of the Recovery wizard to reload windows back to the day it was sold at the store.

Apr 9, 2018
I was able to get into VAIO's Rescue Data by pushing the assist button while my laptop was turned off. I selected save all data to an external source. A screen popped up that says detecting data, this make take a few minutes. It has been detecting data for almost 2 hrs. Is this normal?

Apr 9, 2018

Apr 9, 2018
i downloaded win8.1 to my desktop running win7pro and I burned it to a blank DVD as a ISO file. VAIO rescue got to a point where it request a driver install. As a novice, I'm not sure how to find the driver it is requesting. I was able to see all my files on the internal drive when looking for a driver to select. Not sure which driver it is requesting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What dedicated bootable software where you suggesting in your last post. I read that you could use puppy linux on a bootable flash drive to recover lost files.

popatim

Titan
There are several bootable diagnostic packages for dvd or flash drives that have recovery software included as well as a plethora of other tools.
These include, but not limited to, The Ultimate Boot disk, Hiren's Boot disk, Active Boot disk, and Trinity Rescue.

If Puppy can mount your drive then you should be able to copy off any files it finds. I don't believe it has any Tools to dig deeper but I'm also not positive since I have separate pc just for recovering from other people drives.

Solution
Apr 9, 2018

Apr 9, 2018
In my last post I mentioned that VAIO rescue got to a point where it could not find a driver and VAIO request a driver install with .inf extension. I have win8.1 ISO file that I downloaded burned to a DVD. Would this be a driver for the internal optical drive that its requesting? I was able to browse through the files on the hard drive but didn't see a option to look in the burned DVD for the driver VAIO was requesting? Thank you for the help.