Sony Vaio Windows 10 Drivers Won't Arrive Until October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genaddison

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
First of all, Sony does not have a computer division anymore, they spun that off over a year and a half ago to it's own branded company, called Vaio. Second, I highly doubt it is up to Sony to continue to provide support like this, normally that is up to the company that takes the business. This article is misleading and puts responsibility on Sony where it most likely doesn't belong.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

This is true. The author should have checked his facts and didn't. The PC production division of Vaio wasn't just spun off, it was outright sold to a new holding company called Japan Industrial Partners last year (2014). Sony has nothing to do with Vaio PCs any longer and it's not their problem unless there are contract terms otherwise to provide the developer support for new drivers. Vaio PCs are not Sony any longer just like Thinkpads are not IBM.

That said, Vaio has had ample time to get it's act in gear and get those drivers out like many vendors already have. But Vaio is not the only one dragging it's feet. Creative Arts is as well with many of it's older than current generation but still supported sound cards. The Windows 10 "support matrix" lists products that aren't slated to receive drivers till November as well, which they may or may not meet (I still use(d) an X-Fi Xtreme something-something I got second hand).

How about you two look at the authors source? It is.... Drum roll please.... Sony.com. As in Sony's support website. Where they distribute drivers. For legacy Sony products. That were made by Sony. That according to the terms of the sale they are responsible for supporting.

For a lot of devices such as the chipset, NIC, sound card yes. But for Sony/Vaio specific devices no. Or say the GPU driver that most every OEM makes so you cannot install non OEM versions of the GPU drivers.

You both need to actually look at the history of that. Vaio was spun off, correct. However Vaio is only making products for Japan currently with plans of releasing devices in the US in Autumn of 2015. For any existing Vaio products sold in the US, or anywhere else, they are still made and supported by Sony as they are still Sony designs therefore Sony is responsible for the support of the devices.

I don't even see how Creative can be compared. It is one set of hardware vs multiple devices on your laptop not working. I have also gotten Windows 8 drivers to work on Windows 10 for my SB-Z so it is not as big of a deal when you have a work around where as with some of the Vaio products there might not be any work around due to the changes in the WDDM to Windows 10.

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
First of all, Sony does not have a computer division anymore, they spun that off over a year and a half ago to it's own branded company, called Vaio. Second, I highly doubt it is up to Sony to continue to provide support like this, normally that is up to the company that takes the business. This article is misleading and puts responsibility on Sony where it most likely doesn't belong.

^
This, I use to work for and was hired by Sony at their main office in Rancho Bernardo as a contractor exactly when they merged the PC division with the Mobile division into VAIO. It was madness getting approval for support and the funding from the branch in Japan to work on issues such as driver compatibility and what not. We literally had to wait for conference calls just to get approvals for the smallest things and whats more collaborate with the engineers in Japan so it created a lot of downtime when working on a problem.

Both of you are missing the source. I know that Sony spun off its laptop division into a separate company. Please note I didn't say that Sony was doing a terrible job of providing support for its products. Technically, Sony doesn't need to provide support for these products, but that is irrelevant. They don't need to, but they are providing the support. Slowly, yes, but they are still doing it. It doesn't matter that they don't produce the systems anymore, if anything that gives them a good reason for being slow at adding support, but it doesn't change the fact they are still providing support.

I would assume that Sony is still going to be providing support for the legacy Vaio products that were designed and manufactured under their name until the transition is complete, especially considering that Vaio is not even operating outside of Japan yet.

elho_cid

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
I installed w10 on my Vaio Tap 11 the first week of August, no problem so far. Though Sony already sent me an email that i shouldn't have done that.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Except Vaios are not snowflakes and you can find the same devices with Windows 10 drivers available, if you do your homework, in other manufacturer's products.
True. The graphics drivers are the biggest sticking point and you can find drivers for Intel's IG's (at least the 4000 to 6000 series) at their website if you look.

IF the OEM has not locked the iGPU driver to their own version. I have heard of ways around it but then there is no 100% on that or the stability of that.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Just install the OEM driver and install the baseline Windows 10 driver. It's not rocket science, I had to do it on my parent's Toshiba computer and it worked absolutely fine. Only problem is that the Intel Driver Utility won't scan for the latest driver and I have to do a manual update.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Just install the OEM driver and install the baseline Windows 10 driver. It's not rocket science, I had to do it on my parent's Toshiba computer and it worked absolutely fine. Only problem is that the Intel Driver Utility won't scan for the latest driver and I have to do a manual update.
There are no stability issues. The reason OEM hardware is prevented from installing drivers directly from Intel, Nvidia and such is simply because of support licenses. If you're an OEM you take on the responsibility to support the software and thus has to do the testing and distribution yourself. Hardware manufacturers are generally way too lazy keeping these things up to date, they often only have a handful of people handling the software testing for ALL of their sold hardware, which means they simply just stop releasing updated drivers.

Hey,
For one thing Windows 10 is definitely not stable yet. Lots of people have freezing and other issues.

If you try to assign blame calling companies simply "lazy" then it's likely you don't understand the scope of what's going on. Upgrading to a new OS is going to have lots of issues.

Just because the launch date of Windows 10 came doesn't mean we should expect every company to have full support ready to go.

I for one would rather wait a few months if I had a Sony laptop and make sure it's stable, and perhaps Sony is partly waiting for Microsoft to fix a few more issues.

So if Sony supported Windows 10 now and there are problems they will get part of the blame whether it's their fault so basically damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I personally told everyone I knew to wait THREE MONTHS to upgrade to Windows 10.

The issue is that it is being done as an upgrade instead of a clean install. Upgrades always cause issues. This is not like a Service Pack or Windows 8.1 which is just a change to the GUI and some other systems but a complete change to the kernal, WDDM and pretty much every system. Thus upgrades cause issues that would not be seen by a clean install.

I have seen similar systems to my own having issues in 10 for games yet I don;t in the same games. Clean install.

That said, yes they should have drivers ready. They knew about 10 for a year before release. Actually driver manufactures and OEMs get informed much before that because Microsoft will need working drivers for internal testing as well so they probably have had about two years of knowledge.

Think about Windows 8. When it was launched all the major PC OEMs had AiO PCs and tablet/convertible laptops ready to go with touch screens. It takes quite a while to design the device then get the drivers ready.

This is just plain lazy. Asus, a much smaller company than Sony, has Windows 10 drivers for their computer systems. Why could Sony not?

Zena_1

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Windows 10 installed by Microsoft Store UTC Mall San Diego, California on Sony Vaio ... Thought they were informed about Vaio compatibility issues regarding Windows 10 update and drivers ....

Not sure what to do at this point...

Should have bought an Apple - Steve forgive me !

Paulo_2

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I did the upgrade for Windows 10, but now my ultrabook doesn't work. What I need to do? the vaio screen appears and the screen starts flashing. Apart from the task manager screen I cannot do anything.
Please help me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.