Sony Vaio wont boot from USB

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
hi everyone, I pulled out my old laptop from the grave (2010 sony vaio) because I want to install Linux on it and play around with it. the install keeps failing and it tells me the cd-rom is over heating. so I am trying to boot from usb and that doesn't seem to work either ! I have switched usb key and tried searching for a bios update with hope to flash it then try to boot from usb again. no luck.. any suggestions ?

Solution
You may need to enter the bios of the laptop.
Depending on the laptop you may also have limited bios options.

In any case find out the key, or combination of keys you need to press to enter the bios setup of the Vaio laptop.

The first option to look for is Enable detection of usb legacy device, make sure it is set to enabled.

You will then need to go to the boot order list of devices, if you have the option to select a usb device as a boot able device then set it to the number 1. in the booting list.

Save the new changes made in the bios before you exit it.
Providing you have used something like Rufus to create a boot able usb partition on the usb flash drive via a image file.
You should then be able to boot from the usb flash...
You may need to enter the bios of the laptop.
Depending on the laptop you may also have limited bios options.

In any case find out the key, or combination of keys you need to press to enter the bios setup of the Vaio laptop.

The first option to look for is Enable detection of usb legacy device, make sure it is set to enabled.

You will then need to go to the boot order list of devices, if you have the option to select a usb device as a boot able device then set it to the number 1. in the booting list.

Save the new changes made in the bios before you exit it.
Providing you have used something like Rufus to create a boot able usb partition on the usb flash drive via a image file.
You should then be able to boot from the usb flash drive and begin the install of linux on the Vaio laptop Souflex.

Hope it helps you anyway, and your welcome.

Solution

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

already did what you mentioned in the bios. I hadn't tried making sure its a bootable usb, so I just tried that and now the message I am getting is "an OS wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an OS"

weird this is I have an os on the drive..

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

ended up using an external cd drive and it worked. thanks for the suggestions dude !