Sony Vaio Z Laptop Packs Quad-SSDs in RAID 0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Who buys Blu Ray discs? Why would you watch HD on a tiny screen. It defeats the point behind HD. Crappy resolutions look good on small screens. Who cares about Blu Ray. Download or stream people geez. I laugh when your discs get scratched. HA ha ha.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I would rather have RAID 1 for redundancy and get rid of the OS. I hope Nvidia has their chip reliability problem fixed. I would hate to have to pay for a new board in one of these.[/citation]

With 4 ssd's, i would go for raid 0 (as sony chose) or raid 10.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I had a Sony's Vaio SZ efore, gave it to my sister because after awhile 13.1" is too small except for the web and word processing. The built quaility was great (Z is better) just avoid the low end one. Sony use to put cheap graphic cards in their viao, but mine was a little above average.

biofrog

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
[citation][nom]Socnom[/nom]I think this fails because of a HD screen with no Blue Ray. Kind of like a Ferrari with a 4 cylinder. All that potential, but crippled with the lack of hardware.[/citation]

I've noticed a few other sites such (eg: Gizmodo) list it as having a blu-ray.. I'd be surprised if it didn't have one, but I suggest the final configuration isn't set yet.

maraque

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
The specs seem quite a killer and current, but then I read GT330M.
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/01/03/nvidia-mobile-3-series-lose-dx101/

hellspawncy

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
i have sony z21 for almost a year. I think this will be my next laptop. i only hope that the battery will last as long as my current one

G

quad ssd in raid 0 is req'd for longevity of the the individual drives them selves. 4 drives in raid 0 equal 1/4 the work to accomplish the same job for each drive vs a single ssd doin that same job alone. ssd r/w are limited over the life of the drive. in addition raid 0 data organization matches the capabilities of the drives thus the drives themselves benefit from the arrangement. not sure what the math would be on this for drive life read write time scale. but 1 drive ssd vs 4 drives ssd. might equal 4 times the drive longevity. who knows?

G

I purchased a this laptop and it's been nothing but one problem after another with the RAID failing. In the 6 months of ownership it's been in the shop twice. The RAID was replaced once and failed the next day. I returned it again and now Sony doesn't have the replacement part, has no idea if they'll ever get it and have said my only option is to have them buy it back. Also notable is Sony is not manufacturing Z series now. What a waste!

G

well what happens if the ssd fails, you can just junk your laptop. The ssd in the z series of sony is not user replaceable and it can't be upgraded either. Even if you are willing to pay a huge price for the sony repair people, i have heard horrible stories about the customer service of sony techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.