Sony Vegas Pro 12 Rendering with GTX 670

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hi guys,

I built a new rig a month ago and I've had a blast with gaming and 3D modelling on it so far, but recently I've been fairly disappointed with my video rendering performance.

My specs are:

i7 3770k
16gb Memory
GTX 670

I've been trying to render videos on Sony vegas pro 12 using CUDA or OpenCL however after selecting either of these options before rendering, none of them make a difference compared to rendering with CPU only.
Also OpenCL does not seem to be recognized in Vegas, however, using GPU-Z it clearly states that it is installed and available.

A 10 min video takes me 13-14 mins to render.

Not only is it the time to render, if I render videos longer than 10 mins, somewhere through the video there will be pixelated distortions happening in intervals.

I am highly confident that either option should be making massive differences since I have a friend who uses:

i5 2400
hd 6770
8gb ram

... and using OpenCl, he renders videos a third quicker than what the actual video length will be (10min Video renders in 7mins) and flawlessly.

We render videos with EXACT same settings:

recorded:

30fps @1280x720 AVI in dxtory

Render Settings:

MainConcept AVC/AAC - Internet 720p - 29.970fps

uyMR2

My only difference to him in settings is that I allow 11gb of usage in the program.

I don't really understand to be honest, is Vegas not up to date with supporting later cards?

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Antec High Current Gamer 620W

~32c idle
~39c Rendering

I know that under a heavy load it will hit ~56-60c (this is with my games)

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Hmm I will check it out, it told me on nvidia's site that my gpu had the latest driver version installed, so that's why i assumed so.

Thanks a lot =)

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Sorry i didn't mention, the temps I posted were the GPU temps.

I can check CPU temps tonight if necessary.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Was trying to determine if the GPU was overheating and then under-clocking itself. That does not appear to be the case.

Does Vegas have a "CUDA Only" rendering option in the templates provided?

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I wasn't able to find anything to force Cuda only, just "use cuda if available"

I also checked on vegas and it says that Cuda is available to use.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Since you are using the current drivers (and I assume Windows up date), then there must be a configuration issue within Vegas.

Did you install Vegas before or after you installed your 670?

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

Vegas was installed afterwards

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I am too, I really don't want to have to contact sony and sit through an hour and a half walkthrough of what i've already tried but if I must then so be it.

I've been looking around and apparently there are a lot of others who aren't satisfied with the 6xx series in regards to video editing, supposedly the last generation of cards (GTX 5xx and HD 6xxx) seem to work optimally but im not sure now if this is only vegas' problem, I tried out premiere CS6 and that seemed to render out twice as long.

I also just read while typing this out that it looks like the 6xx series has been stripped of Direct compute and gpgpu features and has been aimed more at gaming :(

nael

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I have the same issue:
In Sony Movie Sudio 12 with HD5670 it renders fastest in OpenCL.
With CPU only it renders 2-3 time longer (i5-2400).
After I've upgraded to gtx650, with CUDA it is like CPU only and GPU used 15-20%
I've installed a HD7750 and it's weird: sometimes it use CPU only (100%) sometimes CPU 70-75% and GPU 30% (always with OpenCL option selected).

COLGeek

Cybernaut

There is no doubt that the GTX 6XX series is intended for gaming. Of course, the Quadros and AMD/ATI FireXXX series of GPUs are optimized for CUDA/OpenCL uses.

Edmundoh

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

It does seem that the cpu is still primarily used when rendering, but as I posted earlier those were the temperatures of my gpu, so i guess it's using a bit, I don't really know how else to see my gpu usage apart from HWmonitor.

I did a re-render to double check my results and i got cpu results down too this time.

GPU:
Idle 37c
Rendering 41c

CPU:
Idle 33c
Rendering 60c

Heres a screenshot just to be more clear

K9dUn.png

nael

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

You can install MSI Afterburner or something like this and it shows GPU utilization and more. It works regardless of your graphic card brand.

nael

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

No offence but you are pointless. It's about using CUDA/OpenCL or not. Do you think HD5670 is optimized for OpenCL and HD7750 is not? Do you think GTX570 is optimized for CUDA and GTX6XX is not?
What about http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/gpuacceleration ?

There is a problem with SONY Studio products and GPU acceleration: it works nice, but not with all the GPUs. What can I say, please fill a support case here: https://www.custcenter.com/app/ask and maybe they will find the a way to solve it. already bought 2 graphic cards to accelerate rendering and none of them is working as my old HD5670 does.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No offense taken. Gaming cards and pro cards are optimized for their intended uses. That is the point.

I agree that Sony has done a poor job here. But having the proper tool does help.