Sony VGC-RB57GY Desktop with Raid 0 issue

Nolan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
Purchased my computer off UBID (Maybe my first mistake). After 6 months the computer crashed while trying to X out of Word. I clicked on the X and the computer didn't do anything. I powered it off and on again... it never booted up. When I power up the computer the Sony banner page displays however, the computer stops before the Windows banner page. After a few seconds the display says " Not a bootable Device".

I suspected one of the hard drives. Now to the part where I need help.

This machine is setup as a RAID 0. I want to reload this thing from scratch and disolve the raid 0 function. I want two simple drives c: & d:. I have purchased a new drive to replace the bad drive and installed the old and the new drives. I'm totally aware that I will loose everything. That is okay. The problem is after purchasing the drive and reinstalling/installing them. I cannot load XP PRO. It doesn't see the hard drive(s). Its appears like the Raid 0 still exsist in the BIOS. I have deleted everything availble to me in BOIS. I do see the new drive in the BIOS ... Maxtor 160 Sata II .

What do I need to do?

billystringer

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Is this onboard raid or a discreet card? If it's onboard then just set your bios settings to default. Since onboard raid is controlled through the system bios, and off by default, this should work.

-The String

Nolan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
I was able to use the CTRL - I command to go into the RAID setup. I removed all volumes that were represented there. Rebooted once again and tried to go into that same area to determine weather the change was accepted. CTRL - I didn't work any longer. I tried it two other times... I then tried loading XP once again thinking the RAID option was deleted. The XP reload proceeded until it got to the place in which it asked if I wanted to… (delete the partition) or (load to the existing partition), etc. Since there were no partitions to delete I chose to create one. I chose “C”. The XP install didn’t quit immediately however, it eventually said that it could not find any hard drives.

...the same as before.

Bummer!

Nolan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
You can see in the thread I tried deleting the raid stuff that existed. I was successful. Also you can see that didn't work. I then went into the BIOS and set the BIOS to default and saved and exited as you instructed.

...same thing.