[SOLVED] Sony VPL-HS50 - Trouble using HDMI (Frequency out of range)

Sep 5, 2021
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for reading this! I copied this question from my reddit post made:

First of all, yes I looked up duplicates and I saw the very similar post titled " Sony VPL EX145 frequency out of range ", but it did not solve my problem. I think I pretty much read every other article/forum post I found using google and still did not find a solution..

Allright, so here is my problem:
I got this second hand projector, a Sony VPL-HS50 (Manual), which I intended to test and then sell.I don't have a lot of experience with projectors so far, but using multiple displays (pc monitor and TVs) is something I'm familiar with.I have been using a different projector for a few weeks now, but I don't think this is of importance for this topic.

What hardware I use and what ports they have (which I am having problems with):
  • Custom build desktop PC, GTX 980ti - 2x DVI, 3xDisplayPort, 1xHDMI
  • Laptop HP Elitebook - 1xVGA, 1xDisplayport
  • Sony projector VPL-HS50, 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, 1xS-Video and Scart stuff (which I dont know well)
My normal display setup (not sure if this is important):
  • Main display - Samsung U28E590, 3840x2160, 60Hz
  • Second display - BenQ BL2400, 1080x1920 (Portrait), 60Hz
  • Third display, projector - Qumi Q2-B, 1280x800, 60Hz
What worked without any problem:
  • Connecting my laptop (HP EliteBook 8570p Specs) via VGA cable to the projector.
What doesn't work:
  • Connecting PC to projecor using
    • HDMI (used 2 different cable, one of them is what I am using all the time without problems for another projector)
    • DVI to HDMI Cable (used two different ones
  • Connecting Playstation4 using HDMI cable
Error message / what seems to be the problem
  • From the above listed problems, I always get the message "Frequency out of range" when using HDMI-HDMI cable, but it detects that it is hooked up via HDMI.This happens when connected to my desktop as well as my PS4.Probably of interest: When I go into the projectors menu (when connected via HDMI) and look at Information, no matter what refresh rate I put in for either main PC monitor or projector, it always says the Input frequencies are:
    • fH: 99.99 kHz
    • fV: 99.99 Hz
  • Using the DVI-HDMI cable, projector doesn't detect it at all and behaves like no cable is hooked up.
What I tried so far:
  • Lowering projectors resolution to all options below 1280x720.
  • Changing projectors refresh rate (Options shown are 50Hz, 59Hz, 60Hz)
  • Also tried display adapter properties -> "List all modes" -> different combinations including "Interlaced" refresh rates (which I do not understand but found this "solution" on some forum post about this whole problem)
  • Disabling other displays / Switching around from "extend display" to "duplicate" / making projector main display / only show on projector display / combinations of these things
  • changing projectors Output color format from RGB to both YCbCr422 and YCbCr444
  • Turning it of after lowering resolution, turning everything off, disconnected cables, reconnected, powered on projector first, then pc
What different outcomes I got:
  • Mostly screen (displayed by projector) turns black, detects there is HDMI connected but input signal can't be .. used I guess? This is where my understanding of video signals etc ends. (From manual page 48: "No signal is input in the selected input")
  • When I used "interlaced" refresh rate, I once had the projector make strange clicking noises. Internet says that is a problem with the lense/lamp I think. Only had it in this situation, never when using the standard resolutions and refresh rates.
  • When I turned everything of before reconnecting like described above, projector showed red flickering horizontal lines.
I hope I provided enough info and described everything so it's understandable. If anyone has any ideas what to do I would be super happy!

Solution
looking at manuals, that projector doesnt accepts PC hdmi signal, it accepts DTV signal
does your PC detects your projector as TV or as monitor?

check nvidia display settings, under connector it should say HDTV with HD,SD video resolutions (720p,1080i etc)
ttQAHEw.jpg
looking at manuals, that projector doesnt accepts PC hdmi signal, it accepts DTV signal

check nvidia display settings, under connector it should say HDTV with HD,SD video resolutions (720p,1080i etc)
ttQAHEw.jpg

Solution
Sep 5, 2021

wow, i was reading the manual but i did not see that mentioned. where exactly did you read that?
but anyway, it does say "HDTV"

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/mZVV57t

so do you think it'll work with a dvd player or a gaming console (i did not try a lot with my playstation 4 but i read some threads about it, i may can get that to work more or less easily).
again i dont have any experience with projectors and only a bit of exp with multiple display setup. does my sony projecter actually distinguish between a real pc monitor and other kinds of screens??

wow, i was reading the manual but i did not see that mentioned. where exactly did you read that?
page 52 under system specs

so do you think it'll work with a dvd player or a gaming console (i did not try a lot with my playstation 4 but i read some threads about it, i may can get that to work more or less easily).
again i dont have any experience with projectors and only a bit of exp with multiple display setup. does my sony projecter actually distinguish between a real pc monitor and other kinds of screens??
it should technically work with pc aswell as its detected as TV
here some tips from sony
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00031157

Sep 5, 2021
What I tried so far:
  • Turning it of after lowering resolution, turning everything off, disconnected cables, reconnected, powered on projector first, then pc

Yea i found that sony support page too, this is what i did, maybe i didnt describe it well here. But even if, it still weird why it wont with my pc.

Anyway, its driving me mad that it wont work. As you say, i feel like it should technically work. Why doesnt it though?
I think I will try if i can get the PS4 to work,1 because i have a feeling it may will.