Sony's Dr. Richard Marks On PlayStation VR At Immersed 2015 (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai10zin

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
"That makes sense."
All kidding aside -- glad to hear they'll have the Playstation VR at the Playstation Experience in December; it's one of the reasons I signed up to go. Hoping to see that and 'No Man's Sky'.

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Sony is being smart about it, I'll give them that. Looks like they might just be the sleeper VR hit the industry needs to boost exposure while capturing the console VR market in it's entirety (whatever that will be). I'm rooting for them. I love my DK2, I play games on it everyday (both 2D and fukk DK2 support) so, anything that helps this newly reborn industry get cooking is ok im my book.

jrrdmchls

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
My prediction VR will go the way of 3D. Pretty Cool, But who want to wear that stuff on your head? Anybody remember the Virtual boy from Nintendo?? lol

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
"That makes sense."
All kidding aside -- glad to hear they'll have the Playstation VR at the Playstation Experience in December; it's one of the reasons I signed up to go. Hoping to see that and 'No Man's Sky'.

I had no idea I said it so many times. I'm going to have to make a conscious note to avoid the phrase.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
My prediction VR will go the way of 3D. Pretty Cool, But who want to wear that stuff on your head? Anybody remember the Virtual boy from Nintendo?? lol

You've obviously not tried any modern VR headset.
3DTV's offered nothing compelling. even the 3D effect isn't very good. You can get the same experience without the glasses and be far more comfortable doing it. You can't match VR with any other experience. There's a very compelling reason to have the headset on. Once you try it, you won't care how silly you look to others.

Virtual reality is getting massive support from all forms of industries.
Gaming is the obvious starting point, but there are so many other things coming for virtual realty HMDs.
360 cameras are popping up all over the place - you will be able to make your own content just as easily as recording with a go-pro.
YouTube, Facebook and other video services already support 360-degree videos that can be viewed with Oculus, GearVR or Google Cardboard.
Virtual tours of tourist attractions are already happening
virtual tours of real estate (rental and sales)
Virtual concert experiences (as if you were sitting in the crowd, when you can't possibly have been there.
Phobia treatment and other therapy
Medetation and relaxation

the list goes on.

You may not know this, but virtual reality has been a thing for over 100 years. There have been people working on the science behind all of this for generations and we're finally at the point where the technology had caught up to the idea.

Trust me when I say, VR is hear to stay this time.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I'm finding it hard to believe that they don't notice or care how much better PC graphics is today. They're both like- yeah in 5-10 years ps4 will totally be relevant and would be able to match PCs... Are they deluded like the cult of Mac or just disingenuous? I can't tell.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I don't think its either. They don't have to keep up with PC graphics. Look at what happened in the last generation.

Games will be made for the platforms that exist. plain and simple. PS4 has a massive install base for a 2 year old console, and it will continue to sell more and more. The PSVR headset only has to match the performance of the console.

PC's will surpass the consoles in power and performance (a good gaming rig already does) but that won't stop the PS4 from continuing on for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.