News Sony's Juicy, 7-Minute Long PS5 Teardown Video Reveals Liquid Metal For Cooling

Eliad Buchnik

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
As he said they spent 2 years on how to adopt this mechanism to a console, so I would not say it is a BAD thing if its done correctly.
Personally I've used liquid metal both in desktop and laptop for years without issue.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
If that much cooling is needed for performance level around that of an RX 5700 XT, how much of a jump in efficiency did RNDA2 really achieved?

All of the heat is under a small area of chip. Even if both the CPU and GPU are decently efficient, they will put out a lot of heat in a small area and be hard to cool. Think of the massive coolers on a 5700xt as well as the decently sized stock cooler for a 3700xt. That much heat sink is unlikely to fit in such a small console.

The processor looks like its covered with insulating material to keep the TIM from shifting around. I don't see a problem with it. The only question I have is how long does it last. It'll also put a damper in people trying to replace the TIM because the cooling system is designed around liquid metal TIM.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
The main thing I got out of this video is that the PS5 needs to sit vertical like a PC tower to get cool air flow. The Xbox team already explained in some many words that their system will cool better vertically

We will have to see.

We don't know much about the heat output of rdna2.

We do know the heat output of a 3700x, and the CPU in these consoles is essentially a 3700x but clocked lower. The CPU should be relatively efficient and easy to cool, but the gpu part of that package may not.

Reactions: Shadowclash10
The main thing I got out of this video is that the PS5 needs to sit vertical like a PC tower to get cool air flow. The Xbox team already explained in some many words that their system will cool better vertically
It doesn't look like orientation matters since the air flow is roughly the same on either its side or standing up. That is, it appears to be getting getting most of the air from the front side. While the intake vents do wrap around to the side/top (depending on how the unit is oriented), the fins of the vent are ported towards the front indicating it's still a mostly front-sucking intake. And the hot air just blows out the back, which is the same side regardless of orientation.

However I don't think it matters as long as one principle is followed: the intake and exhaust vents are given plenty of room to breath.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
it seems that they overdesigned the cooling performance to be able to makes it quite

You don't overdesign when every dollar of added cost translate to $50 million in lost profit. The PS5 heatsink is more than twice the size of the one in the PS4 Pro. It's safe to say that it's going to pump out over 300 W of heat.

You don't overdesign when every dollar of added cost translate to $50 million in lost profit. The PS5 heatsink is more than twice the size of the one in the PS4 Pro. It's safe to say that it's going to pump out over 300 W of heat.
I think it’s somewhere between. If you set out to build something that is better in all ways that your customers care about then running cool and quiet is important to your strategy.

The power supply of the PS4 Pro was rated at something like 290W. Though in practice, the most it would chew up was around 160W.

I think I'd call that a bit of an "overdesign"

Giroro

Splendid
Don't worry about the physical size of the PS5. They used forced perspective tricks and movie magic to make it look like it's merely the size of a grown man's entire torso. Rest assured that in real life, the console will be the much larger size you expect.

Seriously though, the console's entire power output can be dissipated by an RTX 3090, and that card is barley longer than a man's forearm. Maybe they over-designed the cooling, or maybe they under-designed everything else.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Don't worry about the physical size of the PS5. They used forced perspective tricks and movie magic to make it look like it's merely the size of a grown man's entire torso. Rest assured that in real life, the console will be the much larger size you expect.

Seriously though, the console's entire power output can be dissipated by an RTX 3090, and that card is barley longer than a man's forearm. Maybe they over-designed the cooling, or maybe they under-designed everything else.
The 3080 AIBs are already big, but this PS5 sink is slightly bigger. Probably the size of a 3080 AIB + an AMD wraith prism. Mostly to keep the noise down. A big fan + a big heat sink = low noise.