Sony's Laptop Can Also be a 3G Wireless Hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]So to your final statement this essentially saves a person from a 3.1MB download of Connectify and a 2 minute install. So this is just an advertisement masquerading as news?[/citation]
If these laptops come with Windows 7 only...then yes, I would agree with you

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Even though the functionality is already available. i like that companies create a system that does it in an "idiot-proof" way; that is very necessary with todays computer consumer nowadays

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Makes sense. I can see why you would want this feature if 3G is the only option. There is no point if there you have a Wifi connection because the devices already have an access point to connect to.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]IFLATLINEI[/nom]I can see this feature getting used almost never.[/citation]
Except on the sneak by anyone sitting within a 30 ft. radius of you!

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Only way this is useful (and unique) is if it somehow allows you to share a wifi connection you are consuming - somehow doing double duty on the wifi antennae. If this is the case, then one person with a boingo subscription (or whatever other public wifi pay service) can share with friends family. Pretty sure this is not the case though. Boo.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]andyviant[/nom]Only way this is useful (and unique) is if it somehow allows you to share a wifi connection you are consuming - somehow doing double duty on the wifi antennae. If this is the case, then one person with a boingo subscription (or whatever other public wifi pay service) can share with friends family. Pretty sure this is not the case though. Boo.[/citation]

Did you really ignore the second paragraph? This is for laptops connecting via 3g to share their connection with local devices via wifi. Although, I am baffled at the notion that you would set up your wifi enabled smartphone to use the laptop for internet access instead of just switching on it's own 3g (unless, perhaps, you are friends with iPhone users in one of the many oversaturated areas).

It can be very helpful for mobile teams (in case anyone here was thinking about actually getting a job), since only the boss needs to having sharing ability (like this laptop, or the Verizon MyFi box) and everyone in the area will get internet access. Well worth it for road warriors.

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Didn't skip it. And that point was already made multiple times. Instead of restating that this is pointless (article and others already have - the boss can already share his 3g via wifi with Bridging and/or ICS), I stated a hypothetically useful technology that doesn't exist that is similar and may be the result of future versions of something like this. Reading back, my first sentence should have been: "Only way this *could be* useful...".

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Only $1950 for a 13" laptop using a nVidia 330m. AMAZING. To imagine I can pay $500 more for a laptop that cannot do half as much as an ASUS JX73 or MSI 770

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
which is fine, except it should be your PHONE that does this, not anything else. because it's your always on phone that you always have with you, all the time!

there will be many times when you have your phone and not your laptop, but very few where you have your laptop and not your phone.

Azriel4444

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Hah can already do this with my rooted Samsung Moment. Spend more time changing the network name to crazy stuff at coffee shops, then actually connecting through it. Fun to look around at the laptop users when they walk in and start looking for the free wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS