News Sony's Nextorage Launches PlayStation 5 SSDs in the U.S.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Only upto 2TB? bleh. I mean sure 2TB is manageble but let's be real, 4TB is the sweet spot.

Also, will these work on PC motherboards or are they specifically only for PS5?

Apr 1, 2020
Only upto 2TB? bleh. I mean sure 2TB is manageble but let's be real, 4TB is the sweet spot.

Also, will these work on PC motherboards or are they specifically only for PS5?

Per the press release:

Optimized cooling structure
High performance and stability last thanks to the optimized heat dissipation design -- the NEM-PA series comes with an aluminium heatsink coated with highly thermally radioactive black alumite, which suppresses thermal throttling (speed limit activation to prevent thermal runaway). The heatsink cannot be disassembled. When users mount this product on a desktop computer, make sure there is enough space for the M.2 SSD to be installed. This drive cannot be used for laptop computers.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
The cheapest 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVME drive I could find costs more than the disc version PS5.

Sure but again let's be real...2TB is like still not enough these days and the more TB you get, the more faster the NVMe will be.

Per the press release:

Optimized cooling structure
High performance and stability last thanks to the optimized heat dissipation design -- the NEM-PA series comes with an aluminium heatsink coated with highly thermally radioactive black alumite, which suppresses thermal throttling (speed limit activation to prevent thermal runaway). The heatsink cannot be disassembled. When users mount this product on a desktop computer, make sure there is enough space for the M.2 SSD to be installed. This drive cannot be used for laptop computers.

Strange that it will only work on desktops but not on laptops...

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You sound like a lady that likes big discs.

2TB is still plenty these days unless you're working with 4k video files.

Like I said in my post, 2TB is manageable right now but soon you will be inclined to get a 4TB at some point. Games are getting more complicated and require more storage especially the AAA ones at that. Elden ring itself needs 60GB at that.