News Sony's 'Project Q' Handheld Streams Games From Your PS5

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
PS5 U.. lol. Just a controller with a screen by Sony, other devices already stream like this by what I understood so nothing new here. Would be neat though if it streamed your PS5 no matter where you were, theen it would be interesting

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Wow this bit of Sony's announcement is as interesting as watching paint dry or water freeze...I take that back watching water freeze is FAR more interesting as it actually physically does things compared to what boils down to a Wii U tablet controller for PS5. These streaming only devices and services for that matter are still in the sub alpha testing range if you ask me (maybe alpha in the case of Geforce Now). Way to much lag and its rarely a consistent playing experience. Geforce Now is the closest thing I have tested yet to a finished product for 'streaming' games (local or cloud based) and even it has some serious issues.

I have done plenty of local streaming as well with PC, Xbox and PS...lag is tends to be a hair better but you still end up with a pixelated picture at times while trying to control a drunk character model/vehicle/etc. I would love this to work but at the end of the day this tech isn't ready for mainstream. If Sony released a Vita successor, THAT would have my full attention. This project Q ends up just being background noise that puts me in a mood pining for a new proper handheld by Sony (or Nintendo...Switch 2 anyone? Even a MS entry would be welcome)

3tank

Prominent
Jun 21, 2022
It looks goofy and not sleek in contrast to other sony products, it definitely doesnt look portable or compact, and since its Sony wont be cheap. Phones already stream and are more than enough suitable controllers. I always forget whether we can already stream with PS5 since i already barely play it but why not spend $200 or so more to get something you can steam to with consoles, run emus, do Steam and windows, and have actuall portability?

Giroro

Splendid
The Playstation Vita could stream games, and also natively play games, and do a lot of other stuff in a compact and fashionable package for under $250. It failed.

This new handheld is uglier, a lot less portable, and does fewer things. So it better be a lot cheaper. Like $79 cheap.
And I know sony is going to be like "Our controllers cost $79 and this new device is a controller with a tablet glued to it, so it can't cost the same as a controller".

To which my response is "a pocket-friendly $50 burner phone can do the same job of streaming games, so stop charging so much for your overpriced controllers".

Reactions: atomicWAR
May 25, 2023
I guess sony didn't have an in-house purpose-made device for remote play since the Vita went away. If nothing else it checks that box. Having a fully functional ps5 controller attached to it might be compelling to some people. The PS5's remote streaming functionality works really well though. It's relatively flawless using chiaki on my steam deck (once I got it properly configured), and it does work over the internet as well.

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
remember when ppl laughed at Logitech's stream only handheld?

this is that but for PS.

pointless.
It might be even more pointless, at least the G Cloud can be used for native Android gaming and emulation. The real issue with the G Cloud was the price-to-performance ratio, if Sony will price this thing at 200€ or so, like it's been rumoured, they will outdo even Logitech.

TRENDING THREADS