Soon to come, ATi vs. Nvidia - CHIPSETS

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well your 2 favorite 3-D gods are making chipsets.

Who would you go for?????

Myself i would go with ATi cause, Intel looks like there going to let ATi have there low chipset market (i810, sub $1000, etc.)

Note: you tell me that the KT133 is better then the 440bx or i815, i would laugh in your face. I wish Intel would make a chipset for the Athlon then i would be in heaven.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If I could use an Athlon on an 815E I would be there in a heart beat! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I get the choice of Athlon on VIA or PIII on 815E, sooooooooooo, Sorry AMD!

Suicide is painless...........

G

I would rather have a chipset from Micron than Intel or any others. Those guys know how to put a chipset together(i.e.Samurai). Hopefully they will make the mamba chipset for palomino. If they do people will be posting "I wish I could get the mamba chipset for my dual P4's"

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
VIA sucks. I like SIS but there for Low-end boards. if you see a Duron in a Store its most likely the SIS chipset that runs it.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I have great faith in Micron. I hope their Athlon chipset outperforms Intel's 815E in stability, performance, and compatability, so that I can step up to a 1.2GHz T-Bird or something. But until it does I have to stick with Intel chipsets and that means a PIII for me!

G

Can you guys explain to me what is wrong with KT133 that you are all ready to spit on it?
I believe Tom's Hardware gave it excellent reviews (AOpen AK73 Pro and ASUS A7V, for instance). What's wrong with it and what makes i815 better than KT133?

- Better go Green than Blue!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1) Reduced IDE performance
2) AGP timing issues
3) IRQ configuration problems
4) Compatbility issues with certain cards that I use
5) Instability at it's highest performance setting
6) Incompatability between VIA drivers and some software
7) Incompatability between VIA drivers and other drivers
8) Memory glitches
I believe the T-Bird could really fly if not pulled down by the VIA chipsets. As it is, I don't have to deal with Via's PIII chipset, because I didn't buy one. I have a lot of bad experience with them. Nothing I couldn't fix eventually, but why should I have to fix things? I expect a system to work without having to fix it first. I used to have to pull all my cards, load windows, add cards one by one, and fix the problems it caused with each one. It couln't even LOAD with all the cards installed! And these were Plug & Play cards!

mpjesse

Splendid
nVidia announced it was going to make chipsets like 4 months ago. Their also getting into the sound chip business. The only reason they've decided to do this was the XBox. They figured if their FABS are going to make chipsets for the XBox they might as well make em for PC's.

-MP Jesse

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman, you hit the nail on the head with your post. I can only dream of a AMD T-Bird system running on an Intel chipset mobo (T-Bird + BX = AWESOME = dream on *hehe*). Just imagine all the "fun" we will have when the new VIA/DDR/etc mobo's come out. Regarding the current VIA+AMD marriage, you could have summed up your 8 points with just this one:

"Will cause headaches with every hardware device known to "man".

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Got to be specific, as some guys enjoy using their system so much they forgot how much trouble setting it up has been for them. And then there are gamers, with only a graphics card an sound card who just happened to get a sound card that worked on it without setup problems. Lord help anyone who wants to use those two devices with a modem, network card, and SCSI card! I recomend everyone build at least one so they can learn all about IRQ's, drivers, and conflicts. The learning curve is quick-I think all you have to say to get a job as a tech these days is say "I own an AMD"!

G

Go the Micron, via should just give up now, I hope there is a fire in thier factory

G

So, does the VIA southbridge suck when used with AMD's 760 Northbridge on DDR mobos?

- Better go Green than Blue!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well ATi will win cause Intel is helping them.

My Dream system

Athlon 1.2ghz + 256mb PC150 + ATi R200 + Intel chipset = then i would go to heaven.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram