Sooo... a question here

Eremiyah

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
At one point, some family member had a bright idea of connecting 20+ devices to a LAN wirelessly at the same time. Although the problem is gone, I would like some reasons I can explain to that family member in particular not to have that many people connected at the same time. Because I swear, the internet is going to overload if it happens again. That time It got so bad I wanted to kick all of them off the wifi. (I hope this is the right section)

Lutfij

Titan
You may need to bring the make and model of the wireless router at the forefront in order to make a relevant argument. I've had some bad quality routers with poor QoS management and GUI that refused to work with more than 5 devices at any given time. I've even had the opportunity to work with small routers with excellent QoS management and GUI that worked well with 10 devices at the same time.

You're also going to have to mention the max download and upload bandwidth(package from your ISP) in order to give some semblance to your predicament.

Other times it could be that everyone else has a better equipped wifi device that pulls all the bandwidth from your router.

It is not that simplistic. There likely is some limit on number of devices that can connect to a wifi radio but the real limit is related to usage.

You can easily wipe out a wifi connection with a single user copying files to a local NAS device. And you could like have 100 machines connected to wifi doing nothing.

It is extremely hard to say how many device can actually use wifi at the same time. To some extent it is bandwidth dependent but it also is greatly affected because of the half duplex problem where the end stations can not hear each other but they can talk to the central router.

Still there is little you can do its like complaining there are too many cars on the road when you go to work. If people actually need to use the WIFI they need to use it. If they just connect and do nothing it will not have much impact.

when there going to be a big family fling at my bro house (has bar and pool). i use comcast temp move online tool i move my modem and router to his home for the few days were all there. we set the routers up as two diffrent ssid names and we see if one or the other taking a large hit if one is we send little text message over the router that taking the hit asking for a few family to log off and log onto the other modem/router. it also as kif anyone wants to stream or game to be able to use one of the modems for the stream/games without having issues.