[SOLVED] Sooo.... What's the BEST GPU choice now?

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Hello and thank you for your time.

I'm sitting and waiting for months now, new GPUS are coming out like flies, I was looking forward for RTX 3080, but with AMD and all the other 3070 and 3060, no idea anymore what's most worthy choise to go for now? (Performance/money wise)

Here's my Current PC build:
GPU:
(RTX 2070 Super)
CPU: (Ryzen 3700X)
PSU: (Corsair RM750X)
MB: (MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon)
RAM: (G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz 2x16GB)
CASE: (MasterCase H500M)
Monitor: (TUF Gaming VG27AQ 144Hz/165Hz(OC))

From reviews I've seen 3080 is 100% better in performance from 2070 super so I was very tempted for that one, but i'd like professional view from you guys.
My goal game is ARK: Survivial Evolved. With this system i'm getting 30-50fps on my 2K screen, on heavy loaded bases with many tamed animals it can drops to 20-25, i'm not at all happy with that, I'm goaling for 40-60 at minimum.

So what would be best GPU for my system? I'm not planning to upgrade anything else, since a new CPU's would need a new B550 motherboard so I just want a beast GPU and i'll upgrade whole PC in a few years later.
But I'm open to any suggestion.

Best Regards,
KrEnX47

Solution
I’m running a 3080 with a 1440p 144Hz monitor. My advice is get the best gpu your budget allows. To get 120+ FPS in some games I do have to compromise on some settings.

The crashing issues with both 3080 & 3090 was not a hardware problem as many originally thought. It was fixed with a driver update and suffered no performance loss, a few benchmarks showed increased FPS. I had no issues with my Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and was lucky as I had it 4 days after they launched.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Yah, getting any of them is a challenge, but i want to know which to focus on, that's actually worth going for and will give me what i'm looking for in preformance. I know 3080 had some crashing issues before, dont know if i should wait for more gpu releases that will be more stable or go with one already, dont really plan on overcloking i think crashes were when people overclocked, unless they fixed it with some driver updates by now?
Dont know, I'm not looking deeply in to this stuff, why i'm asking here so people can suggest me best option.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
That fps seems really low even with 2070 super, might completely different issue. Google userbenchmark and run it with all applications / games closed, post results
Did not really came for support for my current setup, but hey, why not:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/36966284
That's my current benchmark, something's up with my RAM and M.2 drive apperently, XMP is enabled in bios i fixed that issue first thing when i got my PC 6 months ago.

Tho I still have the bench from 6months ago:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29132552

I'm generally happy with gaming on other games, no issues whatsoever, and in ARK it's basically FINE, but i expected more from it. It's fairly 50-60fps outside my base, it just gets 30-35 inside base or 22-25 on heavy structured bases with a lot of tamed animals, which i'm not that happy about. Outside at the edge of map or even looking at sky it can get up to 70-80fps

I came from GTX 970 system with 1080p montior that I was running at 40-50 fps i think on high settings, to full ultra with 2K and RTX 2070 super, that basically gave me same outcome just cause I switched to better screen :D Even tho I'm in LOVE with graphics and new screen, and game is playable but i'm still not entirely happy, I paid that much money to get 60+ at most times and never drop bellow 40 at any time.

Was also thinking to just sell this PC, and buy B550 with new Ryzen 5 CPU and any of the new GPU and have that as set deal for a long time. But dont know if it's worth the hastle of buying things if I could just buy new GPU and be fine as well.

Did not really came for support for my current setup, but hey, why not:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/36966284
That's my current benchmark, something's up with my RAM and M.2 drive apperently, XMP is enabled in bios i fixed that issue first thing when i got my PC 6 months ago.

Tho I still have the bench from 6months ago:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/29132552

I'm generally happy with gaming on other games, no issues whatsoever, and in ARK it's basically FINE, but i expected more from it. It's fairly 50-60fps outside my base, it just gets 30-35 inside base or 22-25 on heavy structured bases with a lot of tamed animals, which i'm not that happy about. Outside at the edge of map or even looking at sky it can get up to 70-80fps

I came from GTX 970 system with 1080p montior that I was running at 40-50 fps i think on high settings, to full ultra with 2K and RTX 2070 super, that basically gave me same outcome just cause I switched to better screen :D Even tho I'm in LOVE with graphics and new screen, and game is playable but i'm still not entirely happy, I paid that much money to get 60+ at most times and never drop bellow 40 at any time.

Was also thinking to just sell this PC, and buy B550 with new Ryzen 5 CPU and any of the new GPU and have that as set deal for a long time. But dont know if it's worth the hastle of buying things if I could just buy new GPU and be fine as well.

Nothing problemwise wrong with the system, only thing is you might be running your ram in single channel instead of dual or XMP is not enabled in bios. This is easy to check with program called cpu-z download it and open, just go to memory tab and look after Channel #, if its dual then its fine. If not you need to change ram slots, easy thing to do, look your manufactor manual on correct slots for "dual channel". Also look Dram frequency on the same tab, if you have 1800mhz then its running 3600mhz and xmp is already set. If you have less you can enable it in bios.

Then run another benchmark when both are correct. Your motherboard will get bios update for ryzen 5000 series just need to wait for it, all b450 motherboards should get it sooner or later, if you want to upgrade cpu later.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Nothing problemwise wrong with the system, only thing is you might be running your ram in single channel instead of dual or XMP is not enabled in bios. This is easy to check with program called cpu-z download it and open, just go to memory tab and look after Channel #, if its dual then its fine. If not you need to change ram slots, easy thing to do, look your manufactor manual on correct slots for "dual channel". Also look Dram frequency on the same tab, if you have 1800mhz then its running 3600mhz and xmp is already set. If you have less you can enable it in bios.

Then run another benchmark when both are correct. Your motherboard will get bios update for ryzen 5000 series just need to wait for it, all b450 motherboards should get it sooner or later, if you want to upgrade cpu later.
Well as I said that's first thing i did, was enable the XMP, it says XMP = [Enabled], under that it says profile1 at 3600mhz, I can take a picture if you need.
And about RAM's at first I had them in wrong slots, and i changed it to other two by checking manual, so that was also done long time ago :D I can re-check just to be sure tho.

About GPU temps, it's at 72C, 53 when idle, I'm using MSI Afterburner and Ryzen Master, since CPU-Z was meant for intel, can i still run both Ryzen Master and CPU-Z without them disturbing each other or something?

EDIT:
There, I ran Heaven Benchmark (while also having ARK minimized in background). It was at stable 71C at full time.

emFVDah.png

Last edited:
I’m running a 3080 with a 1440p 144Hz monitor. My advice is get the best gpu your budget allows. To get 120+ FPS in some games I do have to compromise on some settings.

The crashing issues with both 3080 & 3090 was not a hardware problem as many originally thought. It was fixed with a driver update and suffered no performance loss, a few benchmarks showed increased FPS. I had no issues with my Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC and was lucky as I had it 4 days after they launched.

Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Solution

Good to hear, i kinda knew it nvidia never messes up like that. Only graphics cards what actually have design flaw are the AMD radeon 5000 series expecially 5700xt. I would say AMD 5000 series cpu is the way to go but wouldnt get amd gpu even for free, in laptop or desktop.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015

Installed CPU-Z, it says dual and it's 1800Mhz yes, so all good on that part. (Well it says 1799.6Mhz)

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
Honestly, there is no sound way to advise any gpu right now

bugs, price points, availability, etc are all preventing us from discerning a clear gpu hierarchy

I'd just wait some more for this mess to settle, a 2070 is still valid
yes, that's why i came here to get to know if it's smart to buy anything yet, I'm planning to play ARK again soon in January probably, i dont want to wait a year or half a year and i want smooth play at all time, not occasional fps drops due to highly populated areas that slows down preformances.

yes, that's why i came here to get to know if it's smart to buy anything yet, I'm planning to play ARK again soon in January probably, i dont want to wait a year or half a year and i want smooth play at all time, not occasional fps drops due to highly populated areas that slows down preformances.
i'd dail down a few settings for now if necessary
Patience is key, nvidia and amd will release more cards (e.g. Ti versions), and the prices will settle and a clear hierachy will emerge
If you buy now, the odds are you'll end up kicking yourself later

Smart?

I don't know what country you're in but in the UK, gpu's are incredible over inflated price wise (think close to £600 for a 3060ti which should retail at £400)

Over here at least there has never been a worse time to buy a gpu as far as I can remember.

KrEnX47

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2015
I'm from Slovenia, so it would cost me about 1000-1100€, depending which one i want, I'd really want to go with AORUS, as that's my current one as well, but that's extra 100 lol.
However I can get 25% discount on it on anyting (at any time).

And yah I can be patient but I really wanted to start playing ARK again recently, there's tons of new things i'm missing out on, and still have old ones to finish.

Just need a card that'd work best with 3700X ryzen and my B450 Pro carbon for a few more years before i buy a new beast PC.