Sorry... completely, uterly, & in every way... OT

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Hey... is there no "off-topic" forum... didn't see one..

Well this has zip to due with computers... I hope you don't mind I try to stay away from OT stuff for the most part... but this one I just had to...

So I guess this is just a "guy thing"... and I needed somewhere to let it out...

I'm 20... sold my first bike today (yellow 1999 Suzuki GS500e sport/street) that I got when I was 17, a Junior in HS... Man, I did not realize it would be so insanely difficult... it has been so hard on me, which seems weird...

It all happen so fast. I knew I had to sell within the next few months... I didn't know it would be today. I posted in free classified's to "scope it out" and got a ton of responses, one guy really "needed" to come by sooner rather than later to look (i told ppl to wait a week). Well, he came alright, with a ramp in truck and cash in hand, and all I could think was... I'm just not ready... but I ended up selling...

As the buyer loaded it up and I watched him drive away, I was like what am I doing... thats not mine anymore there it goes... not only my first bike, but first vehicle as well. So many memories associated... riding to and from High School, and friends, and country rides, and night drives out to see stars, driving way out early to see the sunrise, spur of the moment watch the sunset, so many things... I have a million memories and I just... it was like a part of me and now its gone forever, and its been super hard. I've just felt really bummed and even "empty" inside now in a way... it actually kinda aches... which is just weird, like... I dunno, a bike did that to me? Not the metal & rubber itself, but rather everything its been to me and all the memories and associations and experiences with it... I still see the sunny days driving to High school, hanging out, riding around after school, going places with friends... and now it is just gone, no going back.. I wish I could "unsell" it, rewind time. Wow... its hard... I know I can & will get a new, better bike someday... but thats not the point... it was my first bike, my first vehicle even, and it's just like a part of me is missing now...

have you guys felt this way before?

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The OT section is called the OTHER. We welcome you with open arms! Be sure and ask for Wingding on arrival!

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:
Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Yes you did, and he got banned for being Arnold!

:eek: If I would have shot you when I had the chance, I would be out by now :eek:

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I'm sorry.... I didn't see it.

Is there a way to move a thread once it has been created?

Sorry.

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

reader850

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001
Even if posted out of place, it is a nice little essay. Yes, I felt that way when I moved from my first apartment, and my first condo, and my first house. Many precious memories are tied to those thing. Some of us are sentimental, and some I guess aren't. I also felt this way walking with my son to his first day of kindergarten, and more recently, moving him into his college dorm. To a lesser extent, I feel that way about little things, too, like my favorite old games or special shirts or kids' tricycle I should have given away but can't stand to (because of that empty feeling when I see them go into the trash or garage sale or charity collection), so they clutter up my closets and garage. My wife thinks it's silly (or stronger words to that effect), but then she isn't very sentimental.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Did you see my reply to the P4 630 question?

endyen

Splendid
Yes, and I am giving it some serious thought. While I am reading the thread, I dont know how much I can add to it, at this point. Some do have missconceptions, and I would love to see them cleared up.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Are we on the same page? Im talking about the Intel 775 3.0 that is running at 2.8 Are you talking about the DDR2 thingy?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Eh. **shrug** Fredi will move this thread if he notices and feels like it.

It's an interesting thread though. I lost my first car when I went off to Basic Training and my sister totalled it while I was away. :( I've never had a car since that could go through snow like that beast. It was an ancient Dodge Aries K with a manual transmission, bench seats, a CB radio, and oversized tires. It was like a freaking economy-sized tank. It could drive over everything with great traction and nothing could hurt it. (Except for my sister.) I loved that car. Some days I still miss it.

It's kind of like the C=64, NES, SNES, etc. all boxed up in my basement. I may never use them anymore (since I have emulators and ROMs) but I just can't bring myself to part with them. There are just so many fond memories there.

But then, if I ever move again, I may eBay or garage sale them and the likes (such as my Star Wars Lego collection) beforehand. Moving with a lot of baggage is a pain in the butt, and in the end they're only things. Just because the physical things go away doesn't mean that we lose the memories. :)

That aside, I still wish that I had my childhood GI Joe and Transformer collections. I'd even kept most of the boxes to store them in. They'd be worth an f-ing fortune today if my mom hadn't sold them at a garage sale when I went off to Basic Training. :O

Come to think of it, my family really screwed me when I joined the military. Damn. **ROFL**

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

darkhorseporter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
Look at it this way...In another year, you'll be able to drink your sorrows away.

Really, though I know what you mean...for me it was my first guitar.

Nothing like the first memories of trying to get some by singing + playing for a girl...Particularly Extreme's "More Than Words"

sigh.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (SLI)
GEIL ultra-x PC4400 (2x512)
MSI 6600GT (PCI-E)
$10 POS Case

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
fredi doesnt read the forums anymore. he only responds if you pm him. and not all the time that way either.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

BirdRobin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
BUMP!

AMD A64 3200+ Newcastle @ 2.4 Ghz
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1GB Corsair DDR400 ValueSelect (CL2.5) @ DDR440
Geforce MX440 64mb on FANLESS COOLING. It's OC'ed though =)

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
lol... for some reason that made me laugh...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
fredi doesnt read the forums anymore. he only responds if you pm him. and not all the time that way either.
That's what I figured. :\ THG has gone to hell, so it's no surprise that THGC is under staffed/funded and suffering for it. The one advantage is, of course, that moderation is pretty lax around here, which is kind of nice.

But I wouldn't even be surprised if Fredi doesn't get paid for any of the work done here. Actually, with the way THG has gone lately, I'm surprised that THGC even still exists. You'd almost think that by now they'd have shut this place down with the way THG has gone so anti-enthusiast.

<sarcasm><i>What, people actually helping each other get more out of their PC experience? People helping solve </i>real<i> computer problems? People being </i>intelligent<i> about computers? We can't have that. Shut it down. Shut it down now! And run some more GPU-limited CPU benchmarks and PR fluff reviews. We're losing hit counts and clickthrough dollars.</i></sarcasm>

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!