[SOLVED] Sorry. Could I check RAM / Mobo compatibility?

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I do this so rarely, I forget everything i need to remember.
I have just picked up an ASUS Prime A520M-K motherboard.
With an AMD Ryzen 5 4650G cpu.

I need RAM. Thinking 16GB is ample for my needs (not gaming).
I read on Tom's Hardware reviews that Patriot Viper Steel Series is decent value.
I have seen some PVS416G360C8K which I think is ok.

Have I missed anything?
Thank you.

Solution
That's fine.

DDR4 is what you're looking for.

The QVL lists are mostly guidelines. There are SO many SKUs of kits, that mobo manufacturers cant possibly test every kit on every mobo SKU they produce (and they're going to devote less testing time to their more budget offerings). Use the QVL as more of a guideline to "yes, this board has/can run 3600MHz RAM." While yes, the board can affect max RAM speeds, the larger factor (especially in your situation) is the IMC on the CPU itself.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
That's fine.

The QVL lists are mostly guidelines. There are SO many SKUs of kits, that mobo manufacturers cant possibly test every kit on every mobo SKU they produce (and they're going to devote less testing time to their more budget offerings). Use the QVL as more of a guideline to "yes, this board has/can run 3600MHz RAM." While yes, the board can affect max RAM speeds, the larger factor (especially in your situation) is the IMC on the CPU itself.

Solution

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
RAM should work.

But if you want to be sure, look from MoBo memory QVL list, if your specific RAM is listed,
link: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-a520m-k/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

If it is, and with 3600 Mhz speeds, great, you can make your RAM to run at it's max rated 3600 Mhz.
But if it isn't listed, then RAM still works, but it's 50:50 chance if it works at 3600 Mhz. But it does work at JEDEC speeds 3200/3000/2933/2800/2666/2400 or 2133 Mhz.
Thank you for your help.
I did look on the list, and that exact number wasn't there.
Hmmmm, I appreciate the input.
Perhaps I should look for something that is def on the list.
Daft to pay for 3600 and get 2133 eh?

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
That's fine.

lol, good spot.
Thanks.
I knew I would miss something.

I was wondering if this was the case. Especially when RAM comes out after the Mobo.
So, the actual sku is not on the mobo list.
However, I am looking to go down the AMD GE route and even the highest one is maxed at 3200MHz (thank you again).
Now, the 3200MHz version IS on the list.
BUT, it is pricier than the 3600MHz.
Is it as simple as it will be limited to 3200MHz?
I suspect it is more complicated than that :)

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Using memory QVL gives you a guarantee. But if the RAM isn't on the list, it can work at OC speeds, or it won't. 50:50 chance in this case.
Ah, it is overclocking.
I have now looked that up, so it is automatically overclocking.
I didn't know this was a thing.
(I now see the OC in the number)
I think it is time to look for something on the list.

However, I am looking to go down the AMD GE route and even the highest one is maxed at 3200MHz (thank you again).
Now, the 3200MHz version IS on the list.
BUT, it is pricier than the 3600MHz.
Is it as simple as it will be limited to 3200MHz?
I suspect it is more complicated than that :)
A 3600MHz kit will have 3200/3000/etc MHz profiles. No reason to spend more on a slower kit (assuming CAS latency is relatively average), even if the CPU ends up not actually being able to hit 3600MHz.

It's really more important when you start going the other direction: spending more for >>> MHz RAM. You want to be relatively confident the CPU (and mobo) will actually be able to hit the speeds you're paying for.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009