Sorry if its an old question!

cookie_monster

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005

Got an old Geforce 2 GTS and every now and then it goes into a wierd
gamma/brightness stepping thing, one minute its bright next dimmer, next
brighter... etc and then it settles

I was wondering, is it

1. BB's new toy virus remote control mindf&*^ device
2. A bug in card/software or dodgy card
3. something it actually should do???
4. something else

using linux at the mo, but it was same with win me, so if its BB's toy
reckon its firmware been reprogged...

Cookie_Monster wrote:
> Got an old Geforce 2 GTS and every now and then it goes into a wierd
> gamma/brightness stepping thing, one minute its bright next dimmer, next
> brighter... etc and then it settles
>
> I was wondering, is it
>
> 1. BB's new toy virus remote control mindf&*^ device
> 2. A bug in card/software or dodgy card
> 3. something it actually should do???
> 4. something else
>
> using linux at the mo, but it was same with win me, so if its BB's toy
> reckon its firmware been reprogged...

How do you know it's not the monitor? That seems more likely to me..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

cookie_monster

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:10:46 +0000, Robert Hancock wrote:

> Cookie_Monster wrote:
>> Got an old Geforce 2 GTS and every now and then it goes into a wierd
>> gamma/brightness stepping thing, one minute its bright next dimmer, next
>> brighter... etc and then it settles
>>
>> I was wondering, is it
>>
>> 1. BB's new toy virus remote control mindf&*^ device
>> 2. A bug in card/software or dodgy card
>> 3. something it actually should do???
>> 4. something else
>>
>> using linux at the mo, but it was same with win me, so if its BB's toy
>> reckon its firmware been reprogged...
>
> How do you know it's not the monitor? That seems more likely to me..

That will take a while to test its not predictable in any way, I have
another PC on the same monitor dual input, pretty sure that its the card
as the other doesnt do it (I think) and this is a replacement iiyama
monitor (last one broke) and it was happening on the last one (still
doesnt rule it out) but let me Quadruple check....

Is it a feature on monitors then? auto degauss or something?

In message <pan.2005.09.12.14.40.04.341413@NotApplicable.Con>,
Cookie_Monster <Cookie_Monster@NotApplicable.Con> writes
>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:10:46 +0000, Robert Hancock wrote:
>
>> Cookie_Monster wrote:
>>> Got an old Geforce 2 GTS and every now and then it goes into a wierd
>>> gamma/brightness stepping thing, one minute its bright next dimmer, next
>>> brighter... etc and then it settles
>>>
>>> I was wondering, is it
>>>
>>> 1. BB's new toy virus remote control mindf&*^ device
>>> 2. A bug in card/software or dodgy card
>>> 3. something it actually should do???
>>> 4. something else
>>>
>>> using linux at the mo, but it was same with win me, so if its BB's toy
>>> reckon its firmware been reprogged...
>>
>> How do you know it's not the monitor? That seems more likely to me..
>
>That will take a while to test its not predictable in any way, I have
>another PC on the same monitor dual input, pretty sure that its the card
>as the other doesnt do it (I think) and this is a replacement iiyama
>monitor (last one broke) and it was happening on the last one (still
>doesnt rule it out) but let me Quadruple check....
>
>Is it a feature on monitors then? auto degauss or something?

Swap the cables over. Check them for bends and kinks. Monitor cables
tend to be the weak link in my experience, be they thin ones (like for
projectors) or big thick ones.

HTH

Neil.
--
Neil J Bundy

cookie_monster

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:31:07 +0100, Neil J Bundy wrote:

> Swap the cables over. Check them for bends and kinks. Monitor cables
> tend to be the weak link in my experience, be they thin ones (like for
> projectors) or big thick ones.
>
> HTH
>
> Neil.

Ta I'll check that out, havn't noticed it do it all day today... typical...

IT used to be a hobby of mine, now it's more of a chore because as well
as Finance I'm responsible for IT at work. How life's subtle experiences
can change one's outlook lol.

Nah - it's easy to miss that one. Only thought of it 'cos a thick
monitor cable went dodgy 3 weeks ago and a projector cable went the same
way a couple of months back. Often happens when monitors are near walls
and desks get shoved back...

Good luck.

In message <pan.2005.09.13.00.20.53.138909@NotApplicable.Con>,