News Sorry Windows 8 Users, Cyberpunk 2077 Requires DirectX 12

D

Deleted member 14196

Everything should just be the open source Vulkan api from here on out.
Why. For you? That’s not the way it works and if you don’t like Microsoft you don’t have to use their products and it’s time for you to upgrade to windows 10 whether you like it or not and if you don’t like it too bad live with it

Reactions: alextheblue

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
We all new this was coming, with the NVIDIA RTX announcement. If the game has NVIDIA RTX features why would they waste time optimizing for another API, maybe in a future update they will add Vulkan support with ray tracing extensions since they will be doing that on PS5 for next-gen.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Why? Vulkan isn't the end all be all for graphics API so why make everything use that particular API? Oh let me guess, it is made by the GPU manufacturer that you prefer and that's why you want them to use it?

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Why? Vulkan isn't the end all be all for graphics API so why make everything use that particular API? Oh let me guess, it is made by the GPU manufacturer that you prefer and that's why you want them to use it?
Or, yknow, it's open-source, cross-platform, and still better than DX12 functionality-wise even on Nvidia.

...inb4 I'm accused of being an AMD user, despite having only ever used Nvidia.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Who does this actually affect? Gamers never embraced Windows 8. I don't know anyone who built their own systems and installed Windows 8 on it. Anyone who has Windows 8 got it when they bought their Dell or HP 7 years ago and you're not going to be playing Cyberpunk 2077 on one of those. Also, Windows 8 users can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free using MS's media creation tool.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Who does this actually affect? Gamers never embraced Windows 8. I don't know anyone who built their own systems and installed Windows 8 on it. Anyone who has Windows 8 got it when they bought their Dell or HP 7 years ago and you're not going to be playing Cyberpunk 2077 on one of those. Also, Windows 8 users can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free using MS's media creation tool.
Yeah a lot of people went straight from 7 -> 10 via a new build / new system. But pretty much every Windows 8 gaming box upgraded to 10 long ago. This article is like "Sorry, those two guys that somehow are in this situation." Also as you said you can still upgrade.

I actually had an 8.0 Pro original release disc + key lying around I used on one box, after 10 was out. I upgraded it through the necessary 8.0 upgrades, then 8.1, and then it let me update to 10. It actually went smooth. This was before they let you just use older keys to install 10 out of the gate, mind you.

D

Deleted member 14196

Why would they do anything for a retired product that’s not in service anymore? It would only cost them lots of money in development and testing for no return financially. I guess you still don’t get it?

Gamers are basically a non-concern for businesses they care about what business users need not Joe Schmoe playing games

Jul 16, 2020
Why. For you? That’s not the way it works and if you don’t like Microsoft you don’t have to use their products and it’s time for you to upgrade to windows 10 whether you like it or not and if you don’t like it too bad live with it
Because:

A. The Vulkan API covers more hardware and operating systems than DirectX12. Vulkan is cross-platform - therefore development costs less because you only need to maintain one API.
B. The CP2077 developers are already going to have to support Vulkan for Google Stadia, for which the Google servers are Linux based.

Likely, they went with DirectX12 due to either staff preference or financial incentives, but DirectX12 is really not that great (IMHO)

Last edited: